The film-maker talks about hitchhiking, his one-man show in Liverpool – and what his parents thought of Pink Flamingos
William Burroughs called the film director John Waters "the pope of trash". Waters, 67, was born, raised and still lives in Baltimore, Maryland where his close friend Divine, whom he made a star, also grew up. Waters's best-known movies include Pink Flamingos (in which Divine ate dog faeces), Polyester, Hairspray, Cry-Baby and Serial Mom. He is also a writer, artist and art collector and will perform his one-man show, This Filthy World – about film, his fascination with true crime, exploitation films and "fashion lunacy" – at this year's Homotopia arts festival in Liverpool. Waters is writing a book about hitchhiking across America last year.
How was the road trip?
I hitchhiked from my front door in Baltimore to my flat in San Francisco. I last hitchhiked when I was 16. It's a bit different when you're 66. Before, »
- Tim Teeman
Similar News ItemsJohnny Depp
- Fox sets new dates for Avatar sequels, The Predator, Red Sparrow and more (From HeyUGuys. 24 April 2017, 10:41 AM, PDT)
- Mindy Newell: Summertime Movietime — Already? (From Comicmix. 24 April 2017, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Inside Amber Heard and Elon Musk’s Romance: From Dating Rumors to Their New Life in the Public Eye (From PEOPLE.com. 24 April 2017, 7:59 AM, PDT)
- Horror Highlights: Pool Party Massacre, Armed Response, Bethany Q&A, Jenna Coleman to Attend Wizard World Minneapolis (From DailyDead. 10 April 2017, 7:36 AM, PDT)
- Don Rickles Remembered as Hollywood Mourns the Loss of a Comedy Genius (From MovieWeb. 6 April 2017, 3:53 PM, PDT)
- Paramount First Looks: Garland’s ‘Annihilation,’ Payne’s ‘Downsizing,’ and Bay’s ‘Transformers’ (From Thompson on Hollywood. 29 March 2017, 8:25 AM, PDT)
- Zoe Kravitz on ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Sequel, Donald Trump and SXSW Drama ‘Gemini’ (From Variety - Film News. 15 March 2017, 9:51 AM, PDT)
- Why Ricki Lake Wants to Help Other Families Who Are Battling Mental Illness: ‘Love Is Blind and I Didn’t Want to See It’ (From PEOPLE.com. 3 March 2017, 5:30 AM, PST)
- Ricki Lake Reveals Her Ex-Husband’s Battle With Bi-Polar Disorder: ‘I Have To Spread The Word’ (From ET Canada. 1 March 2017, 10:23 AM, PST)