Belle director and stars discuss their frustration with women’s portrayal in the media and both new opportunities and ongoing challenges for black actors.
After Belle’s standing ovation at the Abu Dhabi Film Festival, Screen sat down with director Amma Asante and stars Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Sam Reid to discuss the period-drama’s strong message about female agency.
“Belle is as much about gender as it is about status and class,” acknowledges director Asante.
“These are the subjects that interest me as a filmmaker. There’s still a need to talk about them and throw them out there.”
Inspired by the true story of Dido Elizabeth Belle (played by Touch star Mbatha-Raw), Asante’s sophomore feature charts the trials and tribulations of the illegitimate mixed race daughter of a Royal Navy Admiral in late 18th Century England.
The Toronto premiere, picked up by Fox Searchlight for most of the world, is set against »
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Andreas Wiseman)
Similar News ItemsJane Austen (I)
- Casting: Nichols, Pacino, Carano, Rampling (From Dark Horizons. 11 February 2016, 10:16 PM, PST)
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies review – undead breathe no life into revamp (From The Guardian - Film News. 11 February 2016, 3:00 PM, PST)
- Two red-band clips from ‘Pride and Prejudice and Zombies’ (From Blogomatic3000. 11 February 2016, 9:55 AM, PST)
- Watch: New Trailer For AMC's 'The Night Manager' Starring Tom Hiddleston (From The Playlist. 12 February 2016, 11:05 AM, PST)
- Watch: New Trailer For AMC's 'The Night Manager' Starring Tom Hiddleston (From Indiewire Television. 12 February 2016, 11:05 AM, PST)
- ‘The Night Manager’ Trailer: John Le Carré Spy Thriller With Hugh Laurie, Tom Hiddleston & Olivia Colman (From Deadline TV. 12 February 2016, 10:38 AM, PST)
- Lee Majors Is Ash's Dad in 'Ash Vs Evil Dead' Season 2 (From MovieWeb. 10 February 2016, 1:13 PM, PST)
- Ash Vs Evil Dead Season 2 Adds Lee Majors & Ted Raimi (From DailyDead. 10 February 2016, 12:57 PM, PST)
- Lee Majors and Ted Raimi Join Ash vs Evil Dead Season 2 (From LatinoReview. 10 February 2016, 12:49 PM, PST)