Upset by the critical response to his work, the stuntman turned film director Hal Needham, who has died aged 82, took out advertisements in Variety and other trade papers. They featured quotes from negative reviews for his movies including Smokey and the Bandit (1977) and The Cannonball Run (1981), alongside a wheelbarrow overflowing with dollar bills.
Needham made a point. His rumbustious 1977 directorial debut had grossed over $100m – an enormous return on its modest budget. He was still milking that particular creation some 20 years later, producing and directing a series of television movies, including Bandit Goes Country and Beauty and the Bandit.
These and other films, many of which starred Burt Reynolds, were seen by an audience of hundreds of millions worldwide, yet few reference books acknowledged his 45-year-long career — an unjustified omission, if only »
- Brian Baxter
Similar News ItemsArnold Schwarzenegger
- [Media] - "Terminator: Genesis" The First Set Photos have arrived! (From OhMyGore. 18 January 2038, 8:14 PM, PST)
- Arnie and Jet Li's Expendables 3 characters are gay, says director (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 19 August 2014, 5:52 AM, PDT)
- 15 Things That Almost Ruined The Terminator Franchise (From Obsessed with Film. 19 August 2014, 1:27 AM, PDT)
"Star Trek" (1966)
- To Be Takei Follows the Star Trek Actor Into Undiscovered Country (From Village Voice. 19 August 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- To Be Takei Review (From We Got This Covered. 19 August 2014, 8:09 PM, PDT)
- Review: 'To Be Takei' Explores The Personal And Political Sides Of The 'Star Trek' Icon (From The Playlist. 19 August 2014, 4:13 PM, PDT)
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Electro Featurette and Deleted Scene (From MovieWeb. 18 August 2014, 12:11 PM, PDT)
- Update: Meet 'Electro's' Mom In New The Amazing Spider-man 2 Deleted Scene (From ComicBookMovie. 18 August 2014, 5:47 AM, PDT)
- The Big Prank Robin Williams Played on Stellan Skarsgard on the Set of ‘Good Will Hunting’ (From The Wrap. 14 August 2014, 8:27 AM, PDT)