Upset by the critical response to his work, the stuntman turned film director Hal Needham, who has died aged 82, took out advertisements in Variety and other trade papers. They featured quotes from negative reviews for his movies including Smokey and the Bandit (1977) and The Cannonball Run (1981), alongside a wheelbarrow overflowing with dollar bills.
Needham made a point. His rumbustious 1977 directorial debut had grossed over $100m – an enormous return on its modest budget. He was still milking that particular creation some 20 years later, producing and directing a series of television movies, including Bandit Goes Country and Beauty and the Bandit.
These and other films, many of which starred Burt Reynolds, were seen by an audience of hundreds of millions worldwide, yet few reference books acknowledged his 45-year-long career — an unjustified omission, if only »
- Brian Baxter
Similar News ItemsArnold Schwarzenegger
- Arnold Schwarzenegger's Love Child -- Jacked Out in a Speedo ... Just Like Dad (From TMZ. 11 March 2014, 1:10 PM, PDT)
- Jai Courtney talks Terminator: Genesis (From Flickeringmyth. 11 March 2014, 7:10 AM, PDT)
- Catch a Glimpse of Terrence Howard in Exclusive Video Spot for 'Sabotage' (From ShadowAndAct. 10 March 2014, 2:35 PM, PDT)
"Star Trek" (1966)
- City On the Edge of Forever makes the Star Trek to Idw Publishing (From Flickeringmyth. 7 March 2014, 12:38 PM, PST)
- Idw to release Harlan Ellison's 'Star Trek' tale as new graphic novel (From EW.com - PopWatch. 7 March 2014, 11:46 AM, PST)
- Spwa, Picturehouse, Starz Digital take SXSW trio (From ScreenDaily. 7 March 2014, 10:20 AM, PST)
- Marc Webb 'confident' 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' won't suffer from villain fatigue (From Hitfix. 11 March 2014, 5:28 PM, PDT)
- Watch Spider-Man Talk Electro Down in the First Clip from The Amazing Spider-man 2 (From Collider.com. 11 March 2014, 4:43 PM, PDT)
- The Daily Bugle updates with a new viral article for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (From Flickeringmyth. 11 March 2014, 2:09 PM, PDT)