Mumbai – Top Indian actress Nandita Das will star in “Traces of Sandalwood” a Spanish-Indian drama to be shot next month with an all-woman crew.
The film, directed by Maria Ripoll (“Tortilla Soup”), is understood to be the first to make use of the bilateral co-production treaty between India and Spain, which was signed a year ago and came into effect in May this year.
The film, an adaptation of novel co-written by Anna Solas-Pont, is the story of a Bollywood star who journeys to Spain to find her long-lost sister, played by newcomer Irina Sanjeevan. The picture will shoot in Barcelona and Mumbai.
Solas-Pont, head of Pontas Literary & Film Agency, wrote the adapted screenplay and will executive produce.
“It will be fun working with a woman director, woman DoP,” said Das on Friday, at an event marking the beginning of the Mumbai Film Festival’s rights and project market.
- Patrick Frater
Similar News ItemsDeepa Mehta
- 'Room', 'The Big Short' to bookend Dubai fest (From ScreenDaily. 25 November 2015, 5:23 AM, PST)
- Stockholm unveils 2015 line-up; Ai Weiwei to attend (From ScreenDaily. 20 October 2015, 4:57 AM, PDT)
- Deepa Mehta and cast on Beeba Boys guns and gangsters (From Cineplex. 14 October 2015, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Irrfan Khan to play writer Manto in Nandita Das next (From BollywoodHungama. 28 November 2015, 7:37 AM, PST)
- What's the buzz at Film Bazaar 2015? (From ScreenDaily. 23 November 2015, 6:10 PM, PST)
- India’s Film Bazaar Reveals Co-Production Market Projects (From Variety - Film News. 12 October 2015, 1:45 AM, PDT)
- An Ode to Ar Rahman (From Bollyspice. 13 November 2015, 12:16 AM, PST)
- Book Launch of Chronicles the early Life and carreer of India (From Bollyspice. 10 August 2015, 7:45 AM, PDT)
- Competition creeps in on Singham Returns from the original Singham (From BollywoodHungama. 16 August 2014, 3:23 AM, PDT)