The only surprise about Bake Off's move from BBC2 is that it didn't happen long ago – the show is mainstream TV at its best
• Poll: will the move to BBC1 work?
At this stage, The Great British Bake Off barely even counts as a television programme any more. It's an institution. It's a place where millions of people congregate every week to drool over cakes, zone out during the boring history bits and use Twitter to aggressively denounce Ruby's continued unconvincing attempts at false modesty.
It's a monster. According to Barb, the only BBC shows with more viewers than The Great British Bake Off last week were Strictly Come Dancing, New Tricks and one episode of EastEnders. The number two rated show on BBC2, The Wrong Mans, achieved less than half the ratings of the Bake Off. So the news that it'll move to BBC1 next year isn't really a surprise. »
- Stuart Heritage
Similar News Items"The X Factor" (2011)
- 6 shocking things we learned from Tulisa: The Price of Fame on BBC Three (From Digital Spy - TV news. 28 July 2014, 3:30 PM, PDT)
- David Walliams wants X Factor role: I'd love to help Simon at Judges Houses (From Digital Spy - TV news. 28 July 2014, 4:02 AM, PDT)
- David Walliams: 'I want X Factor role' (From Digital Spy - TV news. 28 July 2014, 4:02 AM, PDT)
- Mary Berry wins burping competition (From Virgin Media - TV. 30 July 2014, 6:15 AM, PDT)
- Mary Berry wants to avoid tears on new 'Great British Bake Off' (From Virgin Media - TV. 29 July 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- The Great British Bake Off: Meet series 5's contestants - first photos (From Digital Spy - TV news. 28 July 2014, 4:01 PM, PDT)
"The Apprentice" (2005)
- Countdown's Rachel Riley: 'Nick Hewer needs to slow down now he's 70' (From Digital Spy - TV news. 3 June 2014, 6:29 AM, PDT)
- Nick Hewer doesn't judge CBB's Luisa Zissman (From Virgin Media - TV. 28 January 2014, 8:15 AM, PST)
- Nick Hewer recalls Rob Brydon 'cuddle jumper': "I got ambushed" (From Digital Spy - TV news. 27 January 2014, 6:53 AM, PST)