For 20 years, audiences have viewed Tom Hanks as a nice, average Everyman. Older audiences may remember that he got his start as a drag comic and childlike goofball. Either way, it may come as a shock to think of him as a tough guy who takes on modern-day pirates in the new thriller "Captain Phillips."
And yet, seemingly under our noses, Hanks has been quietly building a resume worthy of a two-fisted action star, the sort of guy you'd want to have your back in a pinch, and who can be counted on to save the day. In fact, maybe we should stop thinking of him as Tom Hanks: Everyman, and start thinking of him as Tom Hanks: Badass!
Hanks's drive toward badassery actually began early on, even when he was still playing goofballs. In 1985's "The Man With One Red Shoe," he gets involved with an international spy ring. »
- Gary Susman
Similar News ItemsTom Hanks
- Christmas TV movie guide: Friday, December 26 - Pinocchio, Cool Runnings (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 26 December 2014, 1:00 AM, PST)
- Christmas TV movie guide: Friday, December 26 - The Avengers, Monsters Inc (From Digital Spy - TV news. 26 December 2014, 1:00 AM, PST)
- Christmas TV movie guide: Friday, December 26 - The Avengers, Monsters Inc (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 26 December 2014, 1:00 AM, PST)
Toy Story (1995)
- Save the Dates! Your Guide to 125+ January Returns, Debuts and Finales (From TVLine.com. 25 December 2014, 6:00 AM, PST)
- Amy Adams on Today Show Interview Cancellation: 'I Still Don't Understand' (From TVLine.com. 24 December 2014, 10:09 AM, PST)
- Ratings: Shrek and Toy Story Top Tuesday, Silence One Direction (From TVLine.com. 24 December 2014, 8:46 AM, PST)
Cloud Atlas (2012)
- Rinko Kikuchi Looks for Loot in 'Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter' Trailer (From FirstShowing.net. 17 December 2014, 12:39 PM, PST)
- Interstellar becomes fourth movie to earn $100 million from IMAX (From Flickeringmyth. 16 December 2014, 7:39 AM, PST)
- Tom Hanks eyes another Dave Eggers novel adaptation with The Circle (From JoBlo. 15 December 2014, 1:57 PM, PST)