For 20 years, audiences have viewed Tom Hanks as a nice, average Everyman. Older audiences may remember that he got his start as a drag comic and childlike goofball. Either way, it may come as a shock to think of him as a tough guy who takes on modern-day pirates in the new thriller "Captain Phillips."
And yet, seemingly under our noses, Hanks has been quietly building a resume worthy of a two-fisted action star, the sort of guy you'd want to have your back in a pinch, and who can be counted on to save the day. In fact, maybe we should stop thinking of him as Tom Hanks: Everyman, and start thinking of him as Tom Hanks: Badass!
Hanks's drive toward badassery actually began early on, even when he was still playing goofballs. In 1985's "The Man With One Red Shoe," he gets involved with an international spy ring. »
- Gary Susman
Similar News ItemsTom Hanks
- Star Wars Actor Ford Injured in Plane Accident in Los Angeles Area (From Alt Film Guide. 5 March 2015, 4:43 PM, PST)
- Walden Media joins DreamWorks on The Bfg (From ScreenDaily. 5 March 2015, 9:07 AM, PST)
- Jameis Winston -- 'It Would Be Great to Play In Florida' (From TMZ. 5 March 2015, 12:45 AM, PST)
Toy Story (1995)
- Toy Story 4 will be a stand alone film not another sequel (From Flickeringmyth. 6 March 2015, 4:08 AM, PST)
- Toy Story 4 will be a "separate story" from the trilogy (From Den of Geek. 5 March 2015, 11:18 PM, PST)
- Page 2: Bttf, House of Cards, Peanuts, Totoro, Lucy, Edgar Wright, Toy Story, Star Trek, GoT, Star Wars (From Slash Film. 5 March 2015, 4:00 PM, PST)
Cloud Atlas (2012)
- Three strikes for the Wachowskis (From IF.com.au. 22 February 2015, 5:50 PM, PST)
- Directors’ Cuts: 12 Movies That Were Better When They Got Longer (From Vulture. 16 February 2015, 8:40 AM, PST)
- Berlin: Spain’s ‘Hierro’ Wins TV Series Honor at Berlinale Co-Production Market (From Variety - TV News. 12 February 2015, 4:58 AM, PST)