For 20 years, audiences have viewed Tom Hanks as a nice, average Everyman. Older audiences may remember that he got his start as a drag comic and childlike goofball. Either way, it may come as a shock to think of him as a tough guy who takes on modern-day pirates in the new thriller "Captain Phillips."
And yet, seemingly under our noses, Hanks has been quietly building a resume worthy of a two-fisted action star, the sort of guy you'd want to have your back in a pinch, and who can be counted on to save the day. In fact, maybe we should stop thinking of him as Tom Hanks: Everyman, and start thinking of him as Tom Hanks: Badass!
Hanks's drive toward badassery actually began early on, even when he was still playing goofballs. In 1985's "The Man With One Red Shoe," he gets involved with an international spy ring. »
- Gary Susman
Similar News ItemsTom Hanks
- 'Inferno,' 'Trolls' and 'Loving,' Plus This Week's New Digital HD and VOD Releases (From Movies.com. 25 January 2017)
- When Are the 2017 Oscars? Plus, Everything Else You Need to Know About the Show (From BuzzSugar. 24 January 2017, 12:45 PM, PST)
- 10 Brilliant Individuals Who Just Received Their First Oscar Nomination (From BuzzSugar. 24 January 2017, 12:25 PM, PST)
Toy Story (1995)
- Toy Story 4: It’s Time to Start Making Predictions (From TVovermind.com. 23 January 2017, 6:32 AM, PST)
- Pixar Reveals Easter Eggs Connecting All Its Movies (From Variety - Film News. 19 January 2017, 5:50 PM, PST)
- From ‘Toy Story’ To ‘Finding Dory’, Pixar Reveals How All Their Films Are Connected In New Video (From ET Canada. 19 January 2017, 12:32 PM, PST)
Cloud Atlas (2012)
- Berlinale: Mister Smith Entertainment Takes International Sales on Terrence Malick’s ‘Radegund’ (From Variety - Film News. 23 January 2017, 9:47 AM, PST)
- From Split to Psycho: why cinema fails dissociative identity disorder (From The Guardian - Film News. 12 January 2017, 8:01 AM, PST)
- Avengers: Infinity War To Film On Location In Scotland (From ComicBookMovie. 8 January 2017, 5:05 AM, PST)