In a scene in 2000's "High Fidelity," Jack Black and Todd Louiso's record store clerk characters are coming up with a list of the top five songs about death. Black mentions "You Can't Always Get What You Want," but Louiso reminds him that the song was used in "The Big Chill." "Oh, God, you're right," says Black, and the song is disqualified.
That's how toxic "The Big Chill" was to popular culture -- so much so that even unassailable items that preceded it, like the Rolling Stones classic, were tainted by association.
It's true, of course, that "The Big Chill," released 30 years ago this month (on September 28, 1983), touched a huge raw nerve in the culture and became an enormous mainstream hit as a result. It's also true that it's a very enjoyable movie, full of witty and truthful moments in well-wrought performances by a stellar ensemble of then-rising stars. »
- Gary Susman
Similar News ItemsWoody Allen
- Cinematography Film Festival Camerimage Reveals Main Competition Lineup (From Collider.com. 20 October 2017, 8:11 AM, PDT)
- Five Things You Didn’t Know About Lysette Anthony (From TVovermind.com. 20 October 2017, 3:00 AM, PDT)
- Quentin Tarantino Says His Girlfriend Mira Sorvino Told Him About Alleged Harvey Weinstein Incident in 1995 (From PEOPLE.com. 19 October 2017, 4:14 PM, PDT)
John Cusack (I)
- Film Review: ‘Blood Money’ (From Variety - Film News. 11 October 2017, 4:57 PM, PDT)
- Four new images from sci-fi thriller ‘The Time War’ (From Blogomatic3000. 4 October 2017, 5:34 AM, PDT)
- Celebrating David Hasselhoff with Hoff-toberfest (From Flickeringmyth. 2 October 2017, 9:19 AM, PDT)
Oliver Stone (I)
- 2017 Gotham Awards Nominations: ‘Get Out’ Leads Pack, ‘Lady Bird’ and ‘Call Me by Your Name’ Also Break Out (From Indiewire. 19 October 2017, 7:10 AM, PDT)
- Oliver Stone is Latest Facing Assault Allegations From the Past (From TVovermind.com. 18 October 2017, 8:30 AM, PDT)
- Bjork Says She Was Sexually Harassed By “A Danish Director” (From The Playlist. 16 October 2017, 6:37 AM, PDT)