Directed by Shaul Schwarz
Note. This review originally appeared at Sound on Sight when the film played at this year’s Fantastic Fest. It has been updated to tie in with the film’s wider theatrical release.
One of the most shocking moments of the new documentary Narco Cultura comes near the end, as one of the musicians who profits from the most heinous and violent acts committed by Mexican drug cartels deliberately misquotes a memorable line from Brian de Palma’s Scarface: “First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the bitches.” The surprise is not that the 1983 gangster opus is name-dropped here, but that it only happens once. The hits just keep on coming in Narco Cultura, a thoroughly horrifying look at the neverending criminal battle going on south of the border.
- Josh Spiegel
Similar News Items"Breaking Bad" (2008)
- Amazon To Release ‘Sneaky Pete,’ ‘Casanova’ Pilots On August 7 (From Tubefilter News. 29 July 2015, 1:06 PM, PDT)
- 'Scream' TV Series Renewed for Season 2 on MTV (From MovieWeb. 29 July 2015, 12:49 PM, PDT)
- Exclusive: Remember's Christopher Plummer is front and centre in first poster (From Cineplex. 29 July 2015, 10:00 AM, PDT)
Brian De Palma
- Mission Impossible – Rogue Nation | Review (From ioncinema. 30 July 2015, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation review – functional old-school action thriller (From The Guardian - Film News. 30 July 2015, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Exclusive Interview With Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation Director Chris McQuarrie (From ComicBookMovie. 30 July 2015, 5:49 AM, PDT)
- Reels on Reels: Is Hollywood Taking Over the Slot Machine Market? (From SoundOnSight. 29 July 2015, 9:03 AM, PDT)
- Al Pacino: ‘What’s the point of quitting?’ (From The Guardian - Film News. 23 July 2015, 11:43 AM, PDT)
- After 25 years, ‘The Krays’ still holds up (From SoundOnSight. 21 July 2015, 7:32 PM, PDT)