Directed by Shaul Schwarz
Note. This review originally appeared at Sound on Sight when the film played at this year’s Fantastic Fest. It has been updated to tie in with the film’s wider theatrical release.
One of the most shocking moments of the new documentary Narco Cultura comes near the end, as one of the musicians who profits from the most heinous and violent acts committed by Mexican drug cartels deliberately misquotes a memorable line from Brian de Palma’s Scarface: “First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the bitches.” The surprise is not that the 1983 gangster opus is name-dropped here, but that it only happens once. The hits just keep on coming in Narco Cultura, a thoroughly horrifying look at the neverending criminal battle going on south of the border.
- Josh Spiegel
Similar News Items"Breaking Bad" (2008)
- William Monahan’s Mojave bought by A24 Films (From Flickeringmyth. 25 April 2015, 8:00 PM, PDT)
- Ridley Scott’s The Martian Highlight of 20th Century Fox’s CinemaCon 2015 Event (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 25 April 2015, 6:38 PM, PDT)
- 'Last Man's Mel Rodriguez's Career Boomerang is the Most Heartwarming Showbiz Story of the Year (From Hitfix. 24 April 2015, 10:36 PM, PDT)
Brian De Palma
- Richard Corliss Remembered: A Great Critic of the Movies, and of Criticism Itself (From Variety - Film News. 24 April 2015, 5:28 PM, PDT)
- Remembering Film Critic Richard Corliss (1944-2015) (From Thompson on Hollywood. 24 April 2015, 11:35 AM, PDT)
- 10 unsung heroes behind Star Wars: A New Hope (From Den of Geek. 22 April 2015, 11:08 AM, PDT)
- Acteurism: Joel McCrea in "Barbary Coast" (From MUBI. 27 April 2015, 6:40 AM, PDT)
- Wizard World Comic Con St. Louis May 22-24 – Great Line-Up of Movie Guests (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 19 April 2015, 7:44 PM, PDT)
- Shia Labeouf Explains How His Sia Video Is Like Scarface (From Vulture. 18 April 2015, 10:17 AM, PDT)