Tokyo won the vote for 2020 Summer Olympic Games on Saturday, beating out two other finalists Istanbul and Madrid.
The Japanese capital city previously held the Summer Olympics in 1964, while the 1998 Winter Games were in Nagano, Japan. Tokyo, which had pitched its host bid as “a safe pair of hands,” won the International Olympic Committee’s final-round vote over Istanbul after Madrid was eliminated earlier.
In the U.S., NBCUniversal will telecast the Tokyo games, which will be its eleventh consecutive Olympics (and 17th overall) and the last under its current pact with the Ioc.
“Tokyo is one of the world’s most fascinating cities, and will provide a spectacular setting for the 2020 Olympic Games,” NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus said in a statement. ”Tokyo is particularly special to NBC as our rich Olympic heritage began there with the 1964 Olympic Games. We are excited to return in 2020… to bring the »
- Todd Spangler
Similar News ItemsNBC Sports [us]
- CBS News Goes 24/7 with Republican Convention Coverage (From Variety - TV News. 21 July 2016, 8:50 AM, PDT)
- Watch British Open 2016 Online Free: The Open Championship Live Streaming Final Round TV, Leaderboard on NBC Sports (From TheHDRoom. 17 July 2016, 11:29 AM, PDT)
- Watch British Open 2016 Online Free: The Open Championship Live Streaming Final Round TV, Leaderboard on NBC Sports (From TheHDRoom. 17 July 2016, 10:03 AM, PDT)
Mark Lazarus (II)
- 10 Things We Learned From the NBCUniversal Upfront (From Variety - TV News. 16 May 2016, 1:48 PM, PDT)
- First look at A Few Less Men as footage to comedy sequel shopped at Cannes (From IF.com.au. 15 May 2016, 4:54 PM, PDT)
- Wa's Lauren Brunswick graduates from Spa's Ones to Watch program (From IF.com.au. 5 April 2016, 9:32 PM, PDT)