After the awards buzz coming out of Venice and Telluride, DreamWorks’ “The Fifth Estate” added a surprising twist to the conversation as it opened the 38th Toronto Festival on Sept. 5.
The pic, written by Josh Singer and directed by Bill Condon, stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Wikileaks founder Julian Assange. The film is ultra-smart, glossy and so timely that it’s bound to stir up a lot of talk. So the question is how these virtues will work in the awards race.
The film’s advantages: It’s as topical as any film this year, intelligent, suspenseful and features great work by Condon, Singer, the actors (particularly Cumberbatch) and all tech contributors.
Kudos challenges: That same topicality. The rumor a few years ago was that some Academy voters didn’t fall in love with “Social Network” because they didn’t know what Facebook is, so were confused by much of the action. »
- Timothy M. Gray
Similar News ItemsDaniel Radcliffe
- Box Office: 'The Hunger Games' Wins Thanksgiving Weekend (From Moviefone. 29 November 2015, 11:31 AM, PST)
- 'Hunger Games' Repeats at the Box Office with $51.6M (From MovieWeb. 29 November 2015, 11:07 AM, PST)
- Daniel Radcliffe is Jealous of Eddie Redmayne’s ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Costume (From Variety - Film News. 29 November 2015, 9:47 AM, PST)
- Doctor Strange: Neil Gaiman & Guillermo del Toro once pitched movie (From Den of Geek. 29 November 2015, 9:58 PM, PST)
- ‘The Leftovers’ Boss Damon Lindelof Explains That Shocking Twist (From Variety - TV News. 29 November 2015, 7:00 PM, PST)
- Apparently Marvel Passed On A Doctor Strange Movie From Guillermo del Toro And Neil Gaiman (From We Got This Covered. 29 November 2015, 4:19 PM, PST)
- Carter Burwell on composing 'three themes' in score for Oscar contender 'Carol' (Exclusive Podcast) (From Gold Derby. 28 November 2015, 6:04 AM, PST)
- Marrakech: ‘Rock the Kasbah’ To Open 15th Fest (From Variety - Film News. 28 November 2015, 2:03 AM, PST)
- Ian McKellen Hopes to Become Third Oldest Best Actor Nom in History (From Scott Feinberg. 27 November 2015, 6:00 AM, PST)