With the dust having settled, the victory in the weekend’s close battle for No. 1 goes to the Weinstein Co.’s “Lee Daniels’ The Butler,” which collected a revised $20 million in four days. Sony’s music docu “One Direction: This Is Us” settled for second place, grossing $18 million through Monday.
The swap wasn’t all too surprising since most rival distributors on Sunday estimated “The Butler” to win the long weekend. That said, “This Is Us,” which earned $15.8 million Friday-Sunday, still lead the three-day frame, thanks to a frontloaded $3 million Thursday late-night tally. “The Butler” made $14.9 million in three days.
The four-day win for “The Butler” makes it the first film so far this year to stay atop the domestic box office for three straight weekends.
Internationally, Sony lead the weekend with “Elysium” and “This Is Us” grossing $17.9 million and $14.5 million, respectively. »
- Andrew Stewart
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- Why Would Your Buddy be in the Shower with Youc New 'Horrible Bosses 2' Trailer (From Rope Of Silicon. 30 September 2014, 4:45 PM, PDT)
- ‘Mixology’ Scribes Tapped to Pen ‘Gumball 3000′ Film for WB and Chernin (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 30 September 2014, 4:45 PM, PDT)
- ‘Rush Hour’ TV Series in Development From Bill Lawrence and Warner Bros. TV (From Slash Film. 30 September 2014, 4:30 PM, PDT)
- Justin Bieber -- Dodging Miranda Kerr in Paris! (From TMZ. 30 September 2014, 3:13 PM, PDT)
- Sophia Bush Blasts Her 'Obsessive' and 'Violent' Online Stalker (From Entertainment Tonight. 30 September 2014, 2:33 PM, PDT)
- Justin Bieber and Kendall Jenner Meet Up For a Champagne Dinner in Paris -- See the Picture! (From Us Weekly. 30 September 2014, 12:49 PM, PDT)
- What's It Like Being in the Studio with 5 Seconds of Summer? (From PEOPLE.com. 30 September 2014, 2:50 PM, PDT)
- Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting and More Stars in Native American Outfits, Headdresses: Is It Offensive? (From E! Online. 30 September 2014, 2:05 PM, PDT)
- Piers Morgan Joins MailOnline as Editor-At-Large (From The Wrap. 30 September 2014, 8:13 AM, PDT)