While the Chinese film industry is booming at home, with production volume, cinema numbers and theatrical box office all racing ahead, film exports are going almost nowhere.
Official figures are vague on the value of overseas sales achieved by Chinese rights holders, but data points to overseas box office for Chinese films dropping for the past two years.
In some quarters this is a cause for concern, but for others it is a matter of sublime indifference. That’s because they are too busy figuring out how to profit from this domestic golden era.
“China’s companies have no idea about international sales. That’s because they are so strongly focused on their home market,” says Albert Lee, CEO of Emperor Motion Pictures, another conglomerate that straddles Hong Kong and China.
When local films can gross anywhere between $30 million for “Say Yes” to the $200 million earned by “Journey to the »
- Patrick Frater
Similar News ItemsJohn Woo (I)
- Mechanic: Resurrection review (From Den of Geek. 27 August 2016, 3:34 AM, PDT)
- Don't even think about kidnapping Halle Berry's son! (From Hitfix. 22 August 2016, 2:17 PM, PDT)
- Prepare To Fight With This Video Essay About The Art Of Gun Fu (From The Playlist. 15 August 2016, 1:57 PM, PDT)
The French Connection (1971)
- Frank Ocean’s 100 Favorite Films: ‘Blue Velvet,’ ‘Solaris,’ ‘Annie Hall’ and 97 More (From Indiewire. 23 August 2016, 4:48 PM, PDT)
- Frank Ocean Shares His Favorite Films, Including Tarkovsky, PTA, Kurosawa, Lynch, Kubrick & More (From The Film Stage. 23 August 2016, 9:17 AM, PDT)
- ‘Hell or High Water’ Is the Best Movie of the Summer, But Is There an Audience for It? (From Variety - Film News. 14 August 2016, 11:47 AM, PDT)
Terence Chang (I)
- Jean Reno-Starrer ‘The Adventurers’ to Shoot in Czech Republic (From Variety - Film News. 4 July 2016, 9:51 AM, PDT)
- Warner’s Flagship Entertainment Unveils 12 China Movies (From Variety - Film News. 15 March 2016, 8:34 PM, PDT)
- ‘Fourth Direction’ Wins Top Prize at Singapore Festival (From Variety - Film News. 5 December 2015, 4:01 AM, PST)