The actor, who made a name for himself in Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange and also played villains in Octopussy and Rambo, revealed his views in an interview with Radio 2 DJ Johnnie Walker at the Edinburgh Fringe.
Berkoff, 76, said that today's output almost brings him to tears and that the BBC should not even be thinking about rivalling ITV.
"The BBC is meant to represent values - honesty, decency, values - ITV is not," he said.
"Why should they compete? ITV does that stinking, sodding Coronation Street until you get brained out. Then the BBC comes out with that stinky, slobbing, cliched, mindless moronic EastEnders."
Berkoff went on to dismiss BBC One drama Luther and ITV's Golden Globe and Emmy-winning Downton Abbey.
Of Downton, »
Similar News Items"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- Another Period — Comedy Central pokes fun at the Kardashians of the past (From ChannelGuideMag. 1 June 2015, 11:37 AM, PDT)
- Inside Manchester's Midland Hotel: Who's who? Meet the staff (From Digital Spy - TV news. 1 June 2015, 12:00 AM, PDT)
- 5 reasons why Emmy voters will finally embrace 'The Americans' (From Gold Derby. 28 May 2015, 11:02 AM, PDT)
"Coronation Street" (1960)
- Kym Marsh: Dan Hooper will always be 'very special' to me (From Virgin Media - TV. 2 June 2015, 1:00 AM, PDT)
- Jane Danson almost hit with rubber remot (From Virgin Media - TV. 1 June 2015, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Samia Ghadie is craving lemons (From Virgin Media - TV. 1 June 2015, 1:00 AM, PDT)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
- Ten Songs Forever Changed By Movies (From SoundOnSight. 31 May 2015, 9:06 AM, PDT)
- Dead Right: How Dirty Harry Captured the ’70s Culture Wars (From SoundOnSight. 27 May 2015, 6:08 PM, PDT)
- ‘Me and Earl’ Director Alfonso Gomez-Rejon on Taking Cues From Hollywood’s Greats (From Variety - Film News. 27 May 2015, 10:00 AM, PDT)