While American audiences opted for more mature fare this weekend, international moviegoers fell head-over-heels for the little blue men of “The Smurfs 2,” pushing it to the top of the worldwide box office this frame.
Sony’s live action-toon hybrid earned $80.3 million in total, $27.8 million from Stateside auds and $52.5 million from 43 overseas markets.
Domestically, “Smurfs 2″ opened Wednesday to earn as much in five days in release as Universal’s “2 Guns” earned in three. The R-rated actioner bowed to $27.4 million, a nice start for a film budgeted close to $60 million.
See Also: Film Review: ‘The Smurfs 2′
Fox’s “The Wolverine” took second Friday-to-Sunday with $21.7 million, an almost 60% week-over-week drop, followed by “Smurfs 2,” which earned $18.2 million during the weekend. »
- Michael Sullivan
Similar News ItemsThe Smurfs 2 (2013)
- Battle of the Sexes movie review: totally ace (From FlickFilosopher. 21 September 2017, 8:54 AM, PDT)
- 'Annabelle' Sequel Eyes $30+ Million Opening as Summer Slow Down Continues (From BoxOfficeMojo.com. 10 August 2017, 1:08 PM, PDT)
- John Oliver Is Zazu in Disney's Lion King Live-Action Remake (From MovieWeb. 11 July 2017, 11:03 AM, PDT)
2 Guns (2013)
- ‘Two Men, Two Cows, Two Guns’ is an Equation for a Darkly Farcical Film (From FilmSchoolRejects. 6 April 2017, 5:01 PM, PDT)
- Us Briefs: Shailene Woodley in talks to star in survival drama 'Adrift' (From ScreenDaily. 6 February 2017, 1:28 PM, PST)
- Denzel Washington Interview: The Director Reveals How He Opened Up ‘Fences’ (From Thompson on Hollywood. 11 January 2017, 8:56 AM, PST)