I sit in a small armchair in a sparse but comfortable London hotel. Opposite me is Danish director, Nicolas Winding Refn. The Bronson, Drive and Only God Forgives helmer only flew into London from La the previous night, and apparently “woke up at three am”.
Surprisingly, he fires the first question. “When did you see the film?”, I tell him, “What was your first reaction?”
It’s not really usual for an interviewee to ask a journalist for their thoughts on a movie at the start of a conversation. It tends to skew the rest of the interview. I try to be as neutral in my responses as possible explaining, “for the first moment, I wasn’t sure what I was getting, but then as it went on, it becomes much more like Valhallah Rising, and I knew where I was”, before moving swiftly along.
“There’s something that’s been nagging me. »
- Ben Mortimer
Similar News ItemsTom Hardy (I)
- Tom Hardy, Leonardo DiCaprio, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, and More Find New Roles (From The Film Stage. 24 October 2016, 10:29 AM, PDT)
- Tom Hardy to explore the Antarctic as Ernest Shackleton in new biopic (From Flickeringmyth. 22 October 2016, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- ‘Taboo’ New Promos: Tom Hardy Seeks Revenge in These Cryptic Teasers for his FX Miniseries (From Indiewire Television. 21 October 2016, 6:47 AM, PDT)
- From Horror to Hollywood: The Most Famous Victims of the Horror Genre (From The Hollywood News. 23 October 2016, 10:03 PM, PDT)
- "Meeting with Mel was intimidating": Benedict Hardie on Hacksaw Ridge (From IF.com.au. 23 October 2016, 5:18 PM, PDT)
- Movie Review – La La Land (2016) (From Flickeringmyth. 23 October 2016, 2:30 AM, PDT)
- Giveaway – Win The Neon Demon on DVD (From Flickeringmyth. 20 October 2016, 8:26 AM, PDT)
- Win The Neon Demon on DVD (From Horror Asylum. 20 October 2016)
- Hollywood Film Awards to Honor Tom Ford, Marc Platt and Kenneth Lonergan (From Variety - Film News. 19 October 2016, 12:56 PM, PDT)