Origin stories, even non-fiction ones, often make good movies, showing us "How the West was Won" or how demonic possession entered pop culture, pre-"Exorcist" and Amityville ("The Conjuring").
"Drift" is about the birth of the Australian surfing scene and the industry it spawned. It's a fictional goulash of invented characters, arch situations and a predictable journey from enthusiastic hobby to business, with a detour into the drug trade in between.
But it's a lovely thing to look at and an entertaining ride through myth, a well-shot and acted film that stays just ahead of the curl and rarely wipes out.
A prologue introduces us to the Kelly brothers as their mom (Robyn Malcolm) sneaks them out of their abusive Sydney household and sets out for a new life without their brute of a father. The boys convince her to stop in remote Seacliff, in Western Australia. That's where they can surf, »
Similar News ItemsAvatar (2009)
- Casting Net: Channing Tatum to be 'Struck by Genius' in new drama (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 18 September 2014, 4:54 PM, PDT)
- ‘Avatar’ Copyright Infringement Lawsuit Dismissed (From The Wrap. 18 September 2014, 12:15 PM, PDT)
- James Cameron Prevails Again in ‘Avatar’ Suit (From Variety - Film News. 17 September 2014, 7:50 PM, PDT)
- Anthony Hopkins Boards Pacific Northwest Thriller ‘Go With Me’ (From Deadline New York. 19 September 2014, 11:50 AM, PDT)
- DVD Review – Sabotage (2014) (From Flickeringmyth. 16 September 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- James Cameron May Shoot 'Avatar' Sequels at 120 Fps (From MovieWeb. 15 September 2014, 2:22 PM, PDT)
Clash of the Titans (2010)
- Night Shyamalan, Cuba Gooding Jr. And Donald Sutherland Among Mipcom’s Talent Slate (From Variety - TV News. 16 September 2014, 9:44 AM, PDT)
- Ranked: Every Summer Movie Season Since 1980 - Part 2 (From Cinelinx. 14 September 2014, 6:33 PM, PDT)
- John Wick (2014) Movie Trailer: Keanu Reeves is a Hitman Again (From Film-Book. 13 September 2014, 2:00 PM, PDT)