Origin stories, even non-fiction ones, often make good movies, showing us "How the West was Won" or how demonic possession entered pop culture, pre-"Exorcist" and Amityville ("The Conjuring").
"Drift" is about the birth of the Australian surfing scene and the industry it spawned. It's a fictional goulash of invented characters, arch situations and a predictable journey from enthusiastic hobby to business, with a detour into the drug trade in between.
But it's a lovely thing to look at and an entertaining ride through myth, a well-shot and acted film that stays just ahead of the curl and rarely wipes out.
A prologue introduces us to the Kelly brothers as their mom (Robyn Malcolm) sneaks them out of their abusive Sydney household and sets out for a new life without their brute of a father. The boys convince her to stop in remote Seacliff, in Western Australia. That's where they can surf, »
Similar News ItemsAvatar (2009)
- Fresh ‘Don’t Breathe’ Images Gasp For Relief #Sdcc (From Bloody-Disgusting.com. 22 July 2016, 12:53 PM, PDT)
- Can Luc Besson’s ‘Valerian’ Succeed Where Recent Space Operas Have Failed? (From Variety - Film News. 22 July 2016, 6:27 AM, PDT)
- Comic-Con: Luc Besson wows with 'Valerian' footage (From ScreenDaily. 21 July 2016, 4:54 PM, PDT)
- Aftrs' Friday on My Mind to feature Greg McLean in conversation at Acmi (From IF.com.au. 19 July 2016, 5:12 PM, PDT)
- Greg McLean in conversation at Acmi in Aftrs Friday on My Mind talk (From IF.com.au. 19 July 2016, 5:12 PM, PDT)
- First poster for Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge (From Flickeringmyth. 2 July 2016, 8:30 AM, PDT)
Clash of the Titans (2010)
- Marie Colvin biopic sets 'Cartel Land' director Matthew Heineman (From ScreenDaily. 20 July 2016, 10:45 AM, PDT)
- Review: Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan (From Icons of Fright. 18 July 2016, 4:50 PM, PDT)
- The Stars of Stranger Things Dish on the Show’s "Gnarly, Weird Monster" (From BuzzSugar. 15 July 2016, 8:35 AM, PDT)