As I got on the tube this morning at Ealing Broadway station, I glanced across the road at the building on the corner, and paid a quick, quiet homage. Because this unprepossessing building was where Mick Jagger and his bandmates - yet to adopt the Stones moniker - first took to the stage in 1962, and strummed the first notes of their blues-inspired sound.
(Michele Hanson in the Guardian can do better than that - she remembers the gig, as she writes here)
Nothing so strange about that. Except the same snake-hipped frontman who swivelled and pranced around on that Ealing stage is still happily prancing, preening and peacock-posturing a half-century later, and seems to be getting better with age, according to Glastonbury's Michael Eavis, who hosted the band for the first time this year, and promptly announced them the best headliners ever - review of that gig here.
Sir Mick, »
- The Huffington Post UK
Similar News ItemsJohnny Depp
- New Poster & Pics For Wally Pfister's 'Transcendence' Digitize Johnny Depp (From The Playlist. 12 March 2014, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- Director Scott Cooper Talks Out Of The Furnace, the Film’s Subtlety, Working with Johnny Depp on Black Mass, Leaving The Stand, and More (From Collider.com. 12 March 2014, 8:35 AM, PDT)
- Doctor Strange: Sinister director Scott Derrickson in the running (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 12 March 2014, 8:11 AM, PDT)
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
- Weekend Report: Neeson Beats Jesus, 'Frozen' Hits $1 Billion (From BoxOfficeMojo.com. 2 March 2014, 12:12 PM, PST)
- Weekend Box Office: 'Non-Stop' Tops 'Son of God' as 'Lego' Passes $200 Million (From Rope Of Silicon. 2 March 2014, 7:34 AM, PST)
- The Book Thief review: don’t mention the war… (From FlickFilosopher. 25 February 2014, 3:47 PM, PST)
- Olivia Wilde Signs Up For Rock ‘N’ Roll With Martin Scorsese And HBO (From We Got This Covered. 12 March 2014, 9:52 AM, PDT)
- Keith Richards Writing a Children's Book — No, That's Not a Joke (From The Wrap. 12 March 2014, 8:15 AM, PDT)
- Mick Jagger, Martin Scorsese Enlist Olivia Wilde for 1970s HBO Show (From Rolling Stone. 12 March 2014, 6:45 AM, PDT)