The term ‘transgressive cinema’ was coined by underground film maker Nick Zedd who made several edgy black and white films which crossed moral boundaries. Indeed the term transgressive is used to describe any form of cinema, literature and art which goes beyond social mores and sensibilities. They are designed to be offensive and shocking.
Transgression in art forms can be traced back to French author George Bataille, the Marquis de Sade, Dadaists and surrealists. In cinema, transgression began the moment Luis Bunuel filmed his infamous eyeball slicing in Un Chien Andalou and followed that up with the blasphemous L’Age D’Or. Over the decades transgression has deepened in cinema to provide us with films as subversive and brutal as Pasolini’s Salo, Wes Craven’s Last House on the Left and Gaspar Noés Seul Contre Tous.
I have outlined below 10 films that are transgressive works of cinema. They may »
- Clare Simpson
Similar News ItemsWes Craven
- Wes Craven teaming with Syfy for The People Under the Stairs TV series (From Flickeringmyth. 26 April 2015, 7:35 AM, PDT)
- Round-Up: Evan Peters Joins American Horror Story: Hotel, Wes Craven Executive Producing The Girl in the Photographs, Scream Queens Photos (From DailyDead. 24 April 2015, 11:32 AM, PDT)
- The People Under the Stairs Collector’s Edition Blu-ray Announced by Scream Factory (From DailyDead. 23 April 2015, 5:38 PM, PDT)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
- Canadian Cult Cinema: The Overlooked & Underrated (From SoundOnSight. 21 April 2015, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- Release Details & Cover Art for The Crimson Cult, Madhouse, Deranged, Black Sabbath Blu-rays (From DailyDead. 17 April 2015, 3:10 PM, PDT)
- Movie Review – The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014) (From Flickeringmyth. 16 April 2015, 1:06 AM, PDT)
- Time Machine: Veterans Wallach and Coppola - Godfather 3 in Common - Are Special Oscar Honorees (From Alt Film Guide. 24 April 2015, 12:28 PM, PDT)
- Garrel’s women come out of the shadows in Cannes by Richard Mowe - 2015-04-15 10:50:54 (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 15 April 2015, 2:50 AM, PDT)
- Fashion in film celebrated in New York by Anne-Katrin Titze - 2015-04-01 09:56:39 (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 1 April 2015, 1:56 AM, PDT)