If Cleopatra signalled the demise of Hollywood epics, Heaven's Gate ended the reign of the all-powerful director. Should these films' reputations be rescued? And has the film industry lost its kamikaze tendency?
Sexual intercourse must have been invented earlier in New York than in Yorkshire because all that Robert Benton could think about in 1963 was movies. One movie in particular. But it was not Hollywood's current grandest offering, Cleopatra, which Joseph L Mankiewicz directed for 20th Century Fox, with Elizabeth Taylor in the leading role. Benton was thinking about another love story – another portrayal of a woman loved by two very different men. The director was François Truffaut. The star was Jeanne Moreau. Benton saw Jules et Jim 12 times after it was released in the Us, and his obsession was crucial to what happened next.
"You cannot see a movie that often without beginning to notice certain things about structure and form and character, »
- Leo Robson
Similar News ItemsMartin Scorsese (I)
- Cannes Update: Joanna Hogg to Direct “The Souvenir” (From Women and Hollywood. 22 May 2017, 12:31 PM, PDT)
- Abbas Kiarostami’s First 20 Films to Be Restored in 4K, Including ‘The Traveler’ and ‘Where is the Friend’s Home?’ (From Indiewire. 22 May 2017, 12:21 PM, PDT)
- The Kill Counter - Goodfellas (video) (From JoBlo. 22 May 2017, 9:53 AM, PDT)
- Patricia Summersett, Aka Princess Zelda, Has Some Sage Advice for Aspiring Actors (From Collider.com. 22 May 2017, 9:26 AM, PDT)
- “Wonderstruck”: Updated Oscar Predictions for May (From Hollywoodnews.com. 19 May 2017, 4:26 AM, PDT)
- Ed Harris joins 'The Last Full Measure' (From ScreenDaily. 18 May 2017, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- ‘Vaxxed’: Andrew Wakefield’s Controversial Anti-Vaccine Documentary Set for Secret Cannes Screening (From Indiewire. 22 May 2017, 11:16 AM, PDT)
- Weinstein Company Acquires Oliver Stone TV Series ‘Guantanamo’ (From Variety - TV News. 22 May 2017, 9:24 AM, PDT)
- Weinstein Television acquires Oliver Stone series 'Guantanamo' (From ScreenDaily. 22 May 2017, 1:42 AM, PDT)