Not so many years ago, someone proposed distributing information exclusively online at a board meeting of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences elected governors. Several members objected, saying it was wrong to assume everyone who might want to see the material had computer access.
My, how our little academy has grown up.
Netflix’s strong showing in this year’s Emmy nominations — including a best-drama series bid for “House of Cards,” the first digital-originated program to enter that prestigious company — won’t change the TV industry. But it does underscore, as Academy Chairman Bruce Rosenblum noted, how our understanding of “television” is evolving.
As the above anecdote illustrates, this isn’t just any organization embracing the digital universe. It’s one that has traditionally been hidebound and slow to embrace change, resistant to new blood and – much like its brethren at the movie academy – structurally designed to place hurdles between »
- Brian Lowry
Similar News Items"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- Downton Abbey's Michelle Dockery: I don't give a s**t what people think (From Digital Spy - TV news. 4 December 2013, 4:01 PM, PST)
- New Trailer: "Pompeii In 3D" (From Dark Horizons. 4 December 2013, 2:37 PM, PST)
- 'Downton Abbey' Season 4 Christmas special pics: Paul Giamatti swings into town (From Zap2It - From Inside the Box. 4 December 2013, 2:32 PM, PST)
"House of Cards" (2013)
- House of Cards: Season Two Debuts on Valentine's Day (From TVSeriesFinale. 4 December 2013, 3:28 PM, PST)
- Your guide to television's mid-season hiatus schedule (From EW.com - Inside TV. 4 December 2013, 2:24 PM, PST)
- Netflix To Release Season Two Of ‘House Of Cards’ On Valentine’s Day (From Tubefilter News. 4 December 2013, 12:24 PM, PST)
- ‘House of Cards’ Season 2 Trailer & Premiere Date: Back to the Hill (From Screen Rant. 4 December 2013, 3:27 PM, PST)
- 'House of Cards' Actors: 'Our Viewership Is Now Primed' for Binge-Watching TV (From The Hollywood Reporter. 4 December 2013, 9:09 AM, PST)
- 'House of Cards' Season 2 to Premiere on Valentine's Day (From The Hollywood Reporter. 4 December 2013, 7:14 AM, PST)