At the movies the past is merely a digest of recognisable tropes, offering the comforts of home – like some bad cruise liner
The Lone Ranger begins with a scene in which Tonto (Johnny Depp), now 100 years old and making a living at a traveling wild west show in San Francisco, runs into a little boy dressed as the Lone Ranger and decides to tell him the real story.
The film's producers might as well have held up a big sign outside the theatre that says: "We are worried about the fading demographic appeal of this story to the eight-year-old at whom our merchandisers say we must direct our film." Smelling fear as swiftly as a pack of wolves, the critics have pounced.
"Indigestible swill," said Screen Daily. "A catastrophe of tone," judged HitFix. "Delivers all the energy and spectacle audiences have come to expect from a Jerry Bruckheimer production, but »
- Tom Shone
Similar News ItemsJohnny Depp
- Has Chris Pine joined the cast of ‘Wonder Woman?’ (From The Hollywood News. 27 May 2015, 11:52 PM, PDT)
- Should Iggy Azalea Return Her Billboard Award? (From Popsugar. 27 May 2015, 10:25 AM, PDT)
- Watch: How to Get Kevin Bacon to Read Your Script (Exclusive Video) (From Indiewire. 27 May 2015, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- ‘The Bronze’ Pushed to October to Avoid Summer Comedy Crush (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 28 May 2015, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- ‘Jaws’ Resurfaces in Theaters for 40th Anniversary (From Variety - Film News. 28 May 2015, 1:13 PM, PDT)
- Steven Spielberg's 'Jaws' Swims Back To Cinemas This Summer For 40th Anniversary Screenings (From The Playlist. 28 May 2015, 10:35 AM, PDT)
- Robert Redford, Robert De Niro and Others Share Life Advice with Graduates (From Indiewire. 27 May 2015, 1:31 PM, PDT)
- The 20 Greatest Musical Moments In The Films Of Cameron Crowe (From The Playlist. 27 May 2015, 10:26 AM, PDT)
- ‘Me and Earl’ Director Alfonso Gomez-Rejon on Taking Cues From Hollywood’s Greats (From Variety - Film News. 27 May 2015, 10:00 AM, PDT)