At the movies the past is merely a digest of recognisable tropes, offering the comforts of home – like some bad cruise liner
The Lone Ranger begins with a scene in which Tonto (Johnny Depp), now 100 years old and making a living at a traveling wild west show in San Francisco, runs into a little boy dressed as the Lone Ranger and decides to tell him the real story.
The film's producers might as well have held up a big sign outside the theatre that says: "We are worried about the fading demographic appeal of this story to the eight-year-old at whom our merchandisers say we must direct our film." Smelling fear as swiftly as a pack of wolves, the critics have pounced.
"Indigestible swill," said Screen Daily. "A catastrophe of tone," judged HitFix. "Delivers all the energy and spectacle audiences have come to expect from a Jerry Bruckheimer production, but »
- Tom Shone
Similar News ItemsJohnny Depp
- Kevin Smith is having more fun than ever with “Yoga Hosers” (From Hollywoodnews.com. 30 August 2016, 9:03 AM, PDT)
- Flashback: Gene Wilder Sings 'Pure Imagination' in 'Willy Wonka' (From Rolling Stone. 30 August 2016, 7:59 AM, PDT)
- Lrm Exclusive Interview: Voice Actor James Arnold Taylor for Ratchet & Clank (From LatinoReview. 29 August 2016, 9:41 AM, PDT)
- Why Derek Cianfrance Sees ‘The Light Between Oceans’ as a Companion Piece to His ‘Blue Valentine’ (From Indiewire. 30 August 2016, 11:04 AM, PDT)
- Derek Cianfrance on Making a John Cassavetes Movie in a David Lean Landscape with ‘The Light Between Oceans’ (From The Film Stage. 30 August 2016, 10:20 AM, PDT)
- Horror Highlights: Blood & Gourd Issue #2, Siren Clip, Somnus Trailer (From DailyDead. 30 August 2016, 7:14 AM, PDT)
- Quiz: All About Michael Fassbender (From Cineplex. 29 August 2016, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Horror Channel FrightFest 2016 Review – The Love Witch (2016) (From Flickeringmyth. 27 August 2016, 2:15 PM, PDT)
- ‘Lion’ Trailer: Inspirational True Story Is The Weinstein Company’s Major Oscar Hopeful (From Indiewire. 25 August 2016, 7:23 AM, PDT)