The toy company Hasbro has filed a lawsuit against filmmaker Courtney Solomon's Sweetpea Entertainment, claiming they have the rights to make the Dungeons & Dragons live-action reboot announced last week. Courtney Solomon directed the 2000 Dungeons & Dragons feature, and is producing this new version for Warner Bros.
The reboot, written by David Johnson (Wrath of the Titans) is based on an obscure game entitled Chainmail, which D&D creator E. Gary Gygax developed before Dungeons & Dragons. The lawsuit, filed yesterday in California federal court, is seeking a declaration from Sweetpea Entertainment that it owns the rights to Dungeons & Dragons, and an injuction to stop the Warner Bros. project from moving forward. Warner Bros. is not listed as a defendant.
The filing asserts that Sweetpea Entertainment had acquired the rights to Dungeons & Dragons in 1994, to make the live-action Dungeons & Dragons feature, which did grant Sweetpea the right to make a sequel or prequel. »
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- Dax Shepard Handed The Keys To CHiPs (From EmpireOnline. 2 September 2014, 8:24 PM, PDT)
- The CHiPs Movie Is Moving Forward And Has Already Found Its Two Stars (From Cinema Blend. 2 September 2014, 8:15 PM, PDT)
- Beyond the Door (1974) Review (From MoreHorror. 2 September 2014, 8:04 PM, PDT)
Wrath of the Titans (2012)
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes crosses $600 million worldwide (From Flickeringmyth. 31 August 2014, 11:15 PM, PDT)
- Awesome Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Concept Art (From ComicBookMovie. 19 August 2014, 3:46 PM, PDT)
- Cowabunga Giveaway – Win A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Prizepack (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 11 August 2014, 10:42 AM, PDT)
David Johnson (III)
- Awards Season Continues With Visual Effects, Sound Mixing And Makeup Nominations (From We Got This Covered. 14 January 2014, 6:41 PM, PST)
- Mob City, Ep.1.05 and 1.06, “Oxpecker” and “Stay Down”: Final Offer (From SoundOnSight. 18 December 2013, 10:14 PM, PST)
- Cinema’s Greatest Villains: The 2000s (From SoundOnSight. 28 August 2013, 11:00 PM, PDT)