The blueprint: Assemble familiar character actors into an on-screen family, then nail it to one of the last new series of the television season.
Premiering Wednesday, May 1, the ABC sitcom "Family Tools" revolves around a passing of the torch as a heart attack forces veteran handyman Tony (J.K. Simmons, "The Closer") to turn his business over to his ne'er-do-well son Jack (Kyle Bornheimer, "She's Out of My League"). Though his aunt Terry (Leah Remini, "The King of Queens") offers Jack encouragement, he has much to prove as he sets out to move the family trade forward.
"Family Tools" is based on the British show "White Van Man." Writer-producer Bobby Bowman ("Raising Hope") did the Americanization and defines that title term as a "sort of fix-it guy. The direct translation would be 'jack-of-all-trades'; that's why I named (the central character) Jack. The British version was Ollie. I don't know any Ollies. »
Similar News ItemsJohnny Pemberton
- Parker Posey Joins Comedy Central’s ‘Crazy House’ (From Variety - TV News. 21 February 2014, 5:20 PM, PST)
- Family Tools Review (From AreYouScreening. 1 May 2013, 7:45 PM, PDT)
- How Leah Remini's Mom Convinced Her To Join 'Family Tools' (From Huffington Post. 1 May 2013, 7:03 PM, PDT)
"Raising Hope" (2010)
- Raising Hope Casting Scoop: Kenny Loggins to Guest Star and Sing in the Emotional Season 4 Finale (From E! Online. 7 March 2014, 8:00 AM, PST)
- Raising Hope dropped by Sky1 in the UK (From Digital Spy - TV news. 7 March 2014, 7:53 AM, PST)
- SXSW Exclusive: Jeremy Sisto Wants To Be A Better Tennis Partner In Clip From Comedy 'Break Point' (From The Playlist. 6 March 2014, 8:23 AM, PST)
- TV Casting News: Ruth Negga Is Heading To 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' & Danielle Nicolet To 'The Game' (From Indiewire Television. 20 September 2013, 2:20 PM, PDT)
- Family Tools (From TVSeriesFinale. 13 July 2013, 12:40 AM, PDT)
- Family Tools: Season One Ratings (From TVSeriesFinale. 13 July 2013, 12:23 AM, PDT)