Period dramas offer delicious escapes, but no matter what era, period pieces need costumes that set the stage. "Mr. Selfridge," airing on "Masterpiece Classic" Sundays on PBS (check local listings), which unfolds in the first modern department store in 1909 England, places great emphasis on costumes.
"In Britain we don't have as much money to make programs as in America," James Keast, the series' costume designer, tells Zap2it. "One of our skills is to make it look expensive. With that in mind, we are mostly filming in a shop where the colors will be black because that was the uniform of the day, and I would like to use some color."
He created most of the costumes, but, "all of the trimmings, all of the bits of lace are original," Keast says. He regularly haunts garage sales, charity sales and eBay. "I have a huge selection of these pieces, and if I see it, »
Similar News ItemsJeremy Piven
- Jeremy Piven, ‘Entourage’ Star, Hits A Cyclist With His Car Door (From Uinterview. 22 July 2016, 1:40 PM, PDT)
- Jeremy Piven Bike Victim -- I Got Cut Deep, But I'm Not Suing (Photo Gallery) (From TMZ. 21 July 2016, 10:02 AM, PDT)
- Jeremy Piven -- One Vicious Cycle ... Actor Nails Biker (From TMZ. 20 July 2016, 6:42 AM, PDT)
"Masterpiece Classic" (1971)
- ‘Victoria’ Producers & Cast Talk Story, Long-Term Potential & Filling That ‘Downton Abbey’ Slot – TCA (From Deadline TV. 28 July 2016, 4:03 PM, PDT)
- Masterpiece Boards ‘King Charles III’ Adaptation As Franchise Looks To Bolster Slate Post-‘Downton Abbey’ – TCA (From Deadline TV. 28 July 2016, 2:31 PM, PDT)
- ‘King Charles III’ Adaptation to Air on Masterpiece (From Variety - TV News. 28 July 2016, 1:55 PM, PDT)
Katherine Kelly (III)
- Doctor Who Ep: Title Role Was Previously Offered to a Black Actor (From TVLine.com. 3 June 2016, 1:24 PM, PDT)
- 5 Characters Found in (Practically) Every Period British TV Show (From Moviefone. 30 May 2016, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Doctor Who Season 10: Pearl Mackie Named New Companion — Watch Video (From TVLine.com. 23 April 2016, 10:13 AM, PDT)