Selena Gomez is being criticized as culturally insensitive after she donned a Hindu religious ornament during a recent performance.
The 20-year-old singer took to the stage on Sunday at the MTV Movie Awards to perform her new single, "Come & Get It." For the performance, she wore a red dress and a sparkling bindi on her head.
The bindi has landed Gomez in hot water with Hindu leaders at the Universal Society of Hinduism who want her to apologize for wearing the religious adornment.
"The bindi on the forehead is an ancient tradition in Hinduism and has religious significance," Hindu statesman Rajan Zed told WENN. "It is also sometimes referred to as the third eye and the flame, and it is an auspicious religious and spiritual symbol... It is not meant to be thrown around loosely for seductive effects or as a fashion accessory aiming at mercantile greed. Selena should apologize »
- The Huffington Post
Similar News ItemsSelena Gomez
- Selena Gomez Breaks Her Own Rotten Tomatoes Record With a Zero for ‘Behaving Badly’ (From The Wrap. 1 August 2014, 4:09 PM, PDT)
- Leonardo DiCaprio Packs On the Pounds, Jennifer Lawrence and Her Man Call It Quits + More in Today’s Last Lap (From VH1.com. 1 August 2014, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Orlando Bloom Steps Out with Miranda Kerr's Rumored Boyfriend's Ex-Wife (From PEOPLE.com. 1 August 2014, 1:45 PM, PDT)
Spring Breakers (2012)
- Film Review: ‘Behaving Badly’ (From Variety - Film News. 1 August 2014, 6:45 PM, PDT)
- Week in Review: Is Studio Ghibli closing? (From SoundOnSight. 1 August 2014, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Selena Gomez Starting to Chain Smoke Cigarettes, Alarming Friends (From TheImproper.com. 31 July 2014, 5:32 PM, PDT)