Selena Gomez is being criticized as culturally insensitive after she donned a Hindu religious ornament during a recent performance.
The 20-year-old singer took to the stage on Sunday at the MTV Movie Awards to perform her new single, "Come & Get It." For the performance, she wore a red dress and a sparkling bindi on her head.
The bindi has landed Gomez in hot water with Hindu leaders at the Universal Society of Hinduism who want her to apologize for wearing the religious adornment.
"The bindi on the forehead is an ancient tradition in Hinduism and has religious significance," Hindu statesman Rajan Zed told WENN. "It is also sometimes referred to as the third eye and the flame, and it is an auspicious religious and spiritual symbol... It is not meant to be thrown around loosely for seductive effects or as a fashion accessory aiming at mercantile greed. Selena should apologize »
- The Huffington Post
Similar News ItemsSelena Gomez
- 25 Life Lessons We Learned From Lena Dunham (From Entertainment Tonight. 1 October 2014, 3:26 PM, PDT)
- Lena Dunham Reveals a Tragic College Experience (From Popsugar. 1 October 2014, 1:45 PM, PDT)
- Fashion Face-Off: Selena Gomez vs. Cara Delevingne in Plunging Neckline Jumpsuits (From E! Online. 1 October 2014, 12:00 PM, PDT)
Spring Breakers (2012)
- Witchcraft Wednesdays: ‘Suspiria’ feels just as exhilaratingly nightmarish today (From SoundOnSight. 1 October 2014, 10:58 AM, PDT)
- ‘Zombie Broadway’ Heading To Screen From Eurythmics’ Dave Stewart (From Deadline New York. 25 September 2014, 10:01 AM, PDT)
- Mondo Posters That Never Happened: Spring Breakers, Planet of the Apes, The Godfather and More (From Slash Film. 24 September 2014, 9:00 AM, PDT)