Selena Gomez is being criticized as culturally insensitive after she donned a Hindu religious ornament during a recent performance.
The 20-year-old singer took to the stage on Sunday at the MTV Movie Awards to perform her new single, "Come & Get It." For the performance, she wore a red dress and a sparkling bindi on her head.
The bindi has landed Gomez in hot water with Hindu leaders at the Universal Society of Hinduism who want her to apologize for wearing the religious adornment.
"The bindi on the forehead is an ancient tradition in Hinduism and has religious significance," Hindu statesman Rajan Zed told WENN. "It is also sometimes referred to as the third eye and the flame, and it is an auspicious religious and spiritual symbol... It is not meant to be thrown around loosely for seductive effects or as a fashion accessory aiming at mercantile greed. Selena should apologize »
- The Huffington Post
Similar News ItemsSelena Gomez
- Lead roles for Latin actors as Us television notes shift in social and economic power (From The Guardian - TV News. 25 October 2014, 6:28 AM, PDT)
- Usher Admits: 'I'm Not Happy' With Justin Bieber's Choices (From Entertainment Tonight. 24 October 2014, 10:59 AM, PDT)
- Usher: I'm "Not Happy" With Justin Bieber's Choices, "I'll Punch Him" When I Need To (From Us Weekly. 24 October 2014, 8:37 AM, PDT)
Spring Breakers (2012)
- Giveaway – Win All Cheerleaders Die on DVD (From Flickeringmyth. 24 October 2014, 7:05 AM, PDT)
- Competition: Win ‘All Cheerleaders Die’ on DVD (From Blogomatic3000. 24 October 2014, 4:01 AM, PDT)
- Edward Snowden Documentary ‘Citizenfour’, Sweden’s ‘Force Majeure': Specialty Box Office Preview (From Deadline New York. 23 October 2014, 3:33 PM, PDT)