Kim Kardashian has received a lot of criticism over her pregnancy weight gain, with stars like Helena Christensen and Gwyneth Paltrow coming to her defense. Now famed feminist icon Gloria Steinem has as well.
Steinem tells Us Weekly, "Our bodies are never public property under any circumstance. It's wrong, and people in the street who feel the right to touch a pregnant woman's belly ought to be arrested for harassment. Our bodies belong to us, and if we don't invite touching, we shouldn't tolerate it."
She adds that criticizing a woman's appearance doesn't just hurt the woman in question, but society as a whole, and that it devalues both their brains and ours.
"If our bodies are treated as ornaments instead of instruments, that's because we are rebelling because it's an effort to distract us. So don't be distracted. Why bother getting caught up in that?" says Steinem. »
Similar News ItemsKim Kardashian
- Fashion Face-Off: Kim Kardashian vs. Jessie J in Teddy Bear Coats (From E! Online. 13 March 2014)
- Kim K flaunts cleavage in sister Kylie Jenner's cutout bikini (From RealBollywood. 13 March 2014, 12:50 AM, PDT)
- Kim Kardashian Exposes Curves in See-Through Chain Mail for Dash Opening in Miami Beach: See the Pics! (From E! Online. 12 March 2014, 5:55 PM, PDT)
- New Glee Season 5,Episode 12 Official Spoilers,Plotline & Clips Hit The Net (From OnTheFlix. 12 March 2014, 12:02 PM, PDT)
- Can't-Miss Celebrity Pics! (From Popsugar. 12 March 2014, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- See Stacy Keibler's Stunning Wedding Photos (From Popsugar. 12 March 2014, 7:32 AM, PDT)
Gloria Steinem (I)
- Birds Eye View Gala Screening – Wonder Women! The Untold Story of American Superheroines (From HeyUGuys. 7 March 2014, 4:30 AM, PST)
- The feminist film-maker who's taking on Hollywood (From The Guardian - Film News. 3 March 2014, 4:05 PM, PST)
- Justin Theroux Back in Los Angeles After Shooting HBO Show in New York City (From E! Online. 24 February 2014, 8:26 PM, PST)