Mickey Rose, a childhood friend and former writing partner of Woody Allen, died Sunday (April 7), the La Times reports. He was 77 years old. As children, Rose and Allen bonded over their loves of baseball, jazz and movies.
As an adult, Rose is credited as a writer on three of Allen's movies: 1966's "What's Up, Tiger Lily?," 1969's "Take the Money and Run," and 1971's "Bananas." After his work with Allen, Rose moved on to write for television. He penned episodes of several classic shows, including "All in the Family," "The Dean Martin Comedy Hour," and "The Odd Couple."
His last writing credit came in the late 1980s, with two episodes of "227." Though Rose stepped back from comedy writing, he stayed in touch with Allen through the years, his family says. In a statement from Allen, the writer-director speaks highly of his friend, saying, "Mickey was one of the funniest humans I know, »
Similar News ItemsWoody Allen
- ‘The Missing Ingredient’ Exclusive Trailer: How Does One Create a New York Institution? (From Indiewire. 27 June 2016, 2:45 PM, PDT)
- Michael Sheen to Make Directorial Debut With ‘Green River Killer’ (From The Film Stage. 27 June 2016, 9:29 AM, PDT)
- Watch: 8-Minute Video Essay On The ‘Blinding Moral Gaze’ In Woody Allen’s ‘Crimes And Misdemeanors’ (From The Playlist. 24 June 2016, 1:50 PM, PDT)
"All in the Family" (1971)
- With ‘Mom,’ Chuck Lorre Finally Earned His Stripes as One of TV’s Top Auteurs (From Indiewire Television. 27 June 2016, 2:40 PM, PDT)
- With ‘Mom,’ Chuck Lorre Finally Earned His Stripes as One of TV’s Top Auteurs (From Indiewire. 27 June 2016, 2:40 PM, PDT)
- Bill Richmond, Writer for Carol Burnett and Jerry Lewis, Dies at 94 (From Variety - TV News. 17 June 2016, 5:20 PM, PDT)
"The Odd Couple" (1970)
- Batman, The Twilight Zone: Director James Sheldon Dies at 95 (From TVSeriesFinale. 21 March 2016, 1:48 PM, PDT)
- 'Happy Days' Star Al Molinaro Passes Away at Age 96 (From MovieWeb. 31 October 2015, 11:41 AM, PDT)
- Happy Days Actor Al Molinaro Dies at 96 (From Vulture. 31 October 2015, 8:32 AM, PDT)