The first Chicago bar I drank in was the Old Town Ale House. That bar was destroyed by fire in the 1960s, the customers hosed off, and the Ale House moved directly across the street to its present location, where it has been named Chicago's Best Dive Bar by the Chicago Tribune.
I was taken to the Ale House by Tom Devries, my fellow college editor from the Roosevelt Torch. It was early on a snowy Sunday afternoon. I remember us walking down to Barbara's Bookstore to get our copies of the legendary New York Herald-Tribune Sunday edition. Pogo. Judith Crist. Tom Wolfe. Jimmy Breslin. I remember peanut shells on the floor and a projector grinding through 16mm prints of Charlie Chaplin shorts. I remember my first taste of dark Löwenbräu beer. The Ale House was cool even then.
I returned to the North Avenue drinking scene on New Year's Eve »
- Roger Ebert
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama (I)
- The Latest on The Interview's Trouble Release (From BuzzSugar. 20 December 2014, 5:30 AM, PST)
- Michelle Obama Can't 'Let It Go' - Sasha and Malia Are 'Too Old' for Frozen (From PEOPLE.com. 20 December 2014)
- 10 stories you might have missed: Five 'Star Trek 3' directors short-listed (From Hitfix. 20 December 2014, 12:54 AM, PST)
New Year's Eve (2011)
- Miguel Just Saved Christmas With These 3 Super-Sexy New Songs (From Vulture. 19 December 2014, 7:45 AM, PST)
- Kate Upton Spotted Makeup-Free at Airport—See the Fresh-Faced Beauty for Yourself! (From E! Online. 18 December 2014, 11:27 AM, PST)
- See Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett Sing Swinging Standards on 'The Tonight Show' (From Rolling Stone. 18 December 2014, 6:56 AM, PST)
- George R.R. Martin Slams Sony’s ‘Corporate Cowardice,’ Offers to Screen ‘The Interview’ at His Own Theater (From The Wrap. 19 December 2014, 10:42 AM, PST)
- The Interview Has Renewed Interest in Chaplin’s The Great Dictator, Which Is a Great Thing (From Vulture. 19 December 2014, 9:30 AM, PST)
- George R.R. Martin Blasts Sony's 'Cowardice' Over 'Interview' Decision (From Rolling Stone. 19 December 2014, 7:21 AM, PST)