The first Chicago bar I drank in was the Old Town Ale House. That bar was destroyed by fire in the 1960s, the customers hosed off, and the Ale House moved directly across the street to its present location, where it has been named Chicago's Best Dive Bar by the Chicago Tribune.
I was taken to the Ale House by Tom Devries, my fellow college editor from the Roosevelt Torch. It was early on a snowy Sunday afternoon. I remember us walking down to Barbara's Bookstore to get our copies of the legendary New York Herald-Tribune Sunday edition. Pogo. Judith Crist. Tom Wolfe. Jimmy Breslin. I remember peanut shells on the floor and a projector grinding through 16mm prints of Charlie Chaplin shorts. I remember my first taste of dark Löwenbräu beer. The Ale House was cool even then.
I returned to the North Avenue drinking scene on New Year's Eve »
- Roger Ebert
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama
- Obama Touts Health Care Success: ‘Repeal Debate Is and Should Be Over’ (From Mediaite - TV. 17 April 2014, 1:13 PM, PDT)
- Jon Stewart Was Obama's Toughest Interview in 2012, White House Press Secretary Says (Video) (From The Wrap. 17 April 2014, 11:02 AM, PDT)
- Speed Read: Real Housewives Star Porsha Williams Arrested - See Her Mugshot (From Popsugar. 17 April 2014, 6:58 AM, PDT)
New Year's Eve (2011)
- Alan Thicke Weighs In On Son Robin Thicke's Marriage To Paula Patton (From Uinterview. 16 April 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- "Antisocial" on DVD April 22, 2014 (From SneakPeek. 15 April 2014, 3:54 PM, PDT)
- Brandy Ends Her Engagement to Music Executive Ryan Press (From PEOPLE.com. 15 April 2014, 9:35 AM, PDT)
- Strictly 4 My L.I.N.K.A.Z. (From FilmExperience. 16 April 2014, 5:40 PM, PDT)
- Director Fatih Akin Pulls 'The Cut' From Cannes Contention (From The Hollywood Reporter. 15 April 2014, 8:55 AM, PDT)
- Director Fatih Akin Pulls 'The Cut' Starring Tahar Rahim From The Cannes Film Festival (From The Playlist. 15 April 2014, 6:42 AM, PDT)