It's jarring to visit Roger Ebert's Sun Times page and discover that he's reviewed new movies I still haven't seen. It's like he's not quite gone, or like he's started a dialogue and is still waiting for our response. Man.
You could consider Roger Ebert an overly sympathetic critic, but more often than not he was succinct and truthful in his thousands of columns. It didn't matter whether you agreed with him because knowing Ebert's perspective was valuable and edifying by itself. Some critics try to wow you with wordplay and professorial authority. Ebert always directed your awe back at the film itself.
To honor his passing, I've picked out ten Ebert quotes about movies we've looked at in our Best. Movie. Ever. feature. Let's use his great insights to buttress our own. His remarks about each film is italicized, then my own remarks about that quote follow. (All »
Similar News ItemsRoger Ebert
- Bill Paxton, ‘Titanic’ and ‘Big Love’ Star, Dies at 61 (From Variety - Film News. 26 February 2017, 7:33 AM, PST)
- Bette Davis in All About Eve Returns to Movie Theaters March 5th and 8th (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 21 February 2017, 2:47 PM, PST)
- Films That Were Panned By Critics But Still Made it to the Oscars (From PEOPLE.com. 20 February 2017, 7:30 AM, PST)
- Benedict Cumberbatch wants director Scott Derrickson to return for Doctor Strange 2 (From Flickeringmyth. 24 February 2017, 4:16 PM, PST)
- Doctor Strange director thanks fans for making the film a success (From Flickeringmyth. 22 February 2017, 9:50 AM, PST)
- Watch: Doctor Strange VFX video explores the time-reversal scene (From Flickeringmyth. 20 February 2017, 6:30 AM, PST)
Mean Girls (2004)
- Lindsay Lohan: 'I was racially profiled and asked to remove headscarf at Heathrow' (From The Guardian - Film News. 22 February 2017, 2:17 AM, PST)
- Lindsay Lohan Claims She Was 'Racially Profiled' for Wearing a Headscarf at London Airport (From Entertainment Tonight. 21 February 2017, 4:31 PM, PST)
- Lindsay Lohan Says She Was "Racially Profiled" While Wearing Headscarf at the Airport (From E! Online. 21 February 2017, 6:55 AM, PST)