It's jarring to visit Roger Ebert's Sun Times page and discover that he's reviewed new movies I still haven't seen. It's like he's not quite gone, or like he's started a dialogue and is still waiting for our response. Man.
You could consider Roger Ebert an overly sympathetic critic, but more often than not he was succinct and truthful in his thousands of columns. It didn't matter whether you agreed with him because knowing Ebert's perspective was valuable and edifying by itself. Some critics try to wow you with wordplay and professorial authority. Ebert always directed your awe back at the film itself.
To honor his passing, I've picked out ten Ebert quotes about movies we've looked at in our Best. Movie. Ever. feature. Let's use his great insights to buttress our own. His remarks about each film is italicized, then my own remarks about that quote follow. (All »
Similar News ItemsRoger Ebert
- ‘Get Out’ Hits the Oscar Campaign Trail With a Timely Hamptons Event (From Indiewire. 22 September 2017, 1:53 PM, PDT)
- Rosie O’Donnell’s Ex-Wife Michelle Rounds’ Autopsy Is Complete, Cause of Death Pending Further Lab Results (From PEOPLE.com. 19 September 2017, 8:13 AM, PDT)
- Can We Stop with the Damn ‘Rotten Tomatoes’ Outrage?! (From Age of the Nerd. 18 September 2017, 1:36 PM, PDT)
- Pablo and Juan de Dios Larrain’s Fabula Sets Up U.S. Company (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 23 September 2017, 11:39 PM, PDT)
- Memo to Distributors: Buy These 2017 Tiff Movies (From Indiewire. 19 September 2017, 9:47 AM, PDT)
- Tiff 17: Female Films and Women’s Visibility (From Sydney's Buzz. 18 September 2017, 11:54 AM, PDT)
Mean Girls (2004)
- Ten Best: Phone Scenes in Movies (From Blogomatic3000. 22 September 2017, 4:06 AM, PDT)
- Weird Movie Tie-In Toys (From Cinelinx. 20 September 2017, 7:18 AM, PDT)
- The First Trailer For the Mean Girls Broadway Musical Is Pretty Fetch (From BuzzSugar. 13 September 2017, 11:10 AM, PDT)