With her uncompromising politics, ironclad certainty, bouffant hairstyle and ever-present handbag, the late British leader was grist for comedians, playwrights, novelists and songwriters whether they loved her or – as was more often the case – hated her.
Thatcher's free-market policies transformed and divided Britain, unleashing an outpouring of creative anger from her opponents. A generation of British comedians, from Ben Elton to Alexei Sayle, honed their talents lampooning Thatcher.
To the satirical puppeteers of popular 1980s TV series "Spitting Image," Thatcher was a cigar-smoking bully, a butcher with a bloody cleaver, a domineering leader ruling over her docile Cabinet. One famous sketch showed Thatcher and her ministers gathered for dinner. Thatcher ordered steak. "And what about the vegetables?" the waitress asked. »
Similar News Items"Saturday Night Live" (1975)
- Saturday Ratings: Ten Commandments, Werdum vs. Browne, 48 Hours, Dateline Saturday Mystery (From TVSeriesFinale. 21 April 2014, 1:14 AM, PDT)
- SNL Will Celebrate Its 40th Anniversary With a TV Special (From Vulture. 20 April 2014, 9:29 PM, PDT)
- Saturday Night Live Plans 40th Anniversary Celebration (From We Got This Covered. 19 April 2014, 4:31 AM, PDT)
- Babes, Blunts and Bongs: Celebrate 4/20 With The Celebrities That Make Smoking Weed Look Sexy (From TheFabLife - Movies. 20 April 2014, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- 87th Academy Awards Dates and Early Predictions: Another Streep? (From Alt Film Guide. 18 April 2014, 5:07 PM, PDT)
- Yes No Maybe So: "Jersey Boys" (From FilmExperience. 18 April 2014, 1:42 PM, PDT)
- Alice Cooper is 'Super Duper' in new Tribeca documentary -- Exclusive Video (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 18 April 2014, 8:05 AM, PDT)
- Super Duper Alice Cooper review 'competent but underwhelming' (From The Guardian - Film News. 17 April 2014, 4:15 PM, PDT)
- Nas opens Tribeca Film Festival with 'Illmatic' documentary and concert (From Hitfix. 17 April 2014, 12:25 PM, PDT)