Annette Funicello, who first gained fame as a 12-year-old Mousekeeter on Disney’s “The Mickey Mouse Club” in the 1950s and then starred opposite Frankie Avalon in a series of musical beach party films of the early 1960s, has died. She was 70.
Funicello was taken off life support on Monday morning at a hospital in Bakersfield, Calif. She’d battled multiple sclerosis since 1987, first going public with the diagnosis in 1992.
“Annette was and always will be a cherished member of the Disney family, synonymous with the word Mousketeer, and a true Disney Legend,” said Disney chairman-ceo Robert Iger. “She will forever hold a place in our hearts as one of Walt Disney’s brightest stars, delighting an entire generation of baby boomers with her jubilant personality and endless talent. Annette was well known for being as beautiful inside as she was on the outside, and she faced her physical challenges with dignity, »
- Carmel Dagan
Similar News ItemsRoger Ebert
- Cinematic gifts from 2014 (From Hollywoodnews.com. 25 December 2014, 8:19 AM, PST)
- Looking Back: Alex's Top 10 Documentaries of 2014 - Ghibli to Ebert (From FirstShowing.net. 23 December 2014, 6:19 PM, PST)
- Film Feature: The 10 Best Films of 2014, By Patrick McDonald (From HollywoodChicago.com. 22 December 2014, 1:07 PM, PST)
"Good Morning America" (1975)
- Disney’s Christmas Day Celebration gets “Frozen” (From ChannelGuideMag. 25 December 2014, 5:00 AM, PST)
- ‘The Interview’ Cancellation Slammed by WGA East Exec Director (From Variety - Film News. 18 December 2014, 5:44 PM, PST)
- Video: Nicki Minaj Has Another Nip Slip on Live TV! (From TooFab. 18 December 2014, 10:30 AM, PST)
"The Oprah Winfrey Show" (1986)
- '80s Overload: See Joan Rivers, Oprah, Cher and More in 'Christmas at Pee-wee's Playhouse' (From Movies.com. 25 December 2014, 7:00 PM, PST)
- Beyonce & Jay Z Are Breaking Up & 5 Other Rumors That Wouldn’t Die in 2014 (From Entertainment Tonight. 24 December 2014, 10:40 AM, PST)
- Michael Sam to Oprah -- Gays in The NFL ... Reached Out to Me (From TMZ. 23 December 2014, 8:17 AM, PST)