Annette Funicello, who first gained fame as a 12-year-old Mousekeeter on Disney’s “The Mickey Mouse Club” in the 1950s and then starred opposite Frankie Avalon in a series of musical beach party films of the early 1960s, has died. She was 70.
Funicello was taken off life support on Monday morning at a hospital in Bakersfield, Calif. She’d battled multiple sclerosis since 1987, first going public with the diagnosis in 1992.
“Annette was and always will be a cherished member of the Disney family, synonymous with the word Mousketeer, and a true Disney Legend,” said Disney chairman-ceo Robert Iger. “She will forever hold a place in our hearts as one of Walt Disney’s brightest stars, delighting an entire generation of baby boomers with her jubilant personality and endless talent. Annette was well known for being as beautiful inside as she was on the outside, and she faced her physical challenges with dignity, »
- Carmel Dagan
Similar News ItemsRoger Ebert
- Ebertfest Attracts Oliver Stone, Steve James, Patton Oswalt (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 6 March 2014, 7:31 AM, PST)
- Zack Snyder saved 'Watchmen' from Terry Gilliam, says Zack Snyder (From EW.com - PopWatch. 3 March 2014, 12:26 PM, PST)
- Best Oscar predictions: Mark Harris, Dave Karger and Peter Travers score 92% (From Gold Derby. 3 March 2014, 10:56 AM, PST)
"Good Morning America" (1975)
- Bindi Irwin Backlash: PETA Slams 15-Year-Old's Partnership With SeaWorld (From E! Online. 6 March 2014, 6:12 PM, PST)
- PETA Blasts Bindi Irwin for SeaWorld Partnership (From TooFab. 6 March 2014, 2:01 PM, PST)
- See How Bindi & Bob Irwin Are Continuing the Crocodile Hunter's Legacy (From TooFab. 6 March 2014, 12:15 PM, PST)
"The Oprah Winfrey Show" (1986)
- Lindsay Lohan Gets Soaked on "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon" (From TooFab. 6 March 2014, 10:28 PM, PST)
- Is Lindsay Lohan’s Road to Hell Paved by Oprah’s Good Intentions? (From TheImproper.com. 6 March 2014, 5:25 PM, PST)
- Lindsay Lohan is in the last-chance saloon again, and now it's all on TV (From The Guardian - TV News. 6 March 2014, 4:06 PM, PST)