Margaret Thatcher, the first woman to serve as Britain's prime minister, has died at the age of 87.
Lord Timothy Bell, Thatcher's longtime adviser, says in a statement, "It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning. A further statement will be made later."
Thatcher was also the longest-serving British prime minister of the 20th century, in the post from 1979 to 1990. During her tenure, she became known as the "Iron Lady" and was always close with President Ronald Reagan, who called her "the best man in England." They shared a love of small government and a hated of communism.
Thatcher was born in Grantham, England and studied at Somerville College in Oxford. She married husband Denis in 1951 and the two were together until his death in 2003. Their twins, Mark and Carol, were born in 1953.
Bell says that according to her daughter, »
Similar News ItemsMargaret Thatcher (I)
- Where Are the Women? The Emperor’s New Clothes (From FlickFilosopher. 24 April 2015, 6:53 AM, PDT)
- 10 Doctor Who Stories That Would Make Great Musicals (From Obsessed with Film. 24 April 2015, 1:26 AM, PDT)
- The Criterion Collection announces June Blu-ray releases (From Flickeringmyth. 22 April 2015, 7:00 PM, PDT)
Ronald Reagan (I)
- ‘The Americans’ Ratings Fall In Finale From 2014 Demo Result (From Deadline TV. 23 April 2015, 2:13 PM, PDT)
- The Americans Season 3 Finale Recap: “March 8, 1983″ (From Collider.com. 22 April 2015, 8:12 PM, PDT)
- ‘The Americans’ Season 3 Finale Postmortem: Joel Fields On the Martha Mystery, Reagan Speech (From Variety - TV News. 22 April 2015, 8:11 PM, PDT)
Carol Thatcher (I)
- 13 I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! winners ranked: Who was best? (From Digital Spy - TV news. 12 November 2014, 5:38 AM, PST)
- David Frost: astonishingly, barely anyone has a bad word to say about him (From The Guardian - TV News. 1 September 2013, 8:20 AM, PDT)
- Olivia Colman on How to Build a Better Murder Mystery, 'Broadchurch' and Proving She's Not Just a Funny Lady (From Indiewire Television. 7 August 2013, 5:17 AM, PDT)