Short films no longer rule the cinematic roost as they once did. A feature-length assembly of 2013 Bafta nominees suggests why
No law dictates that a film must last 90-plus minutes. The feature emerged to meet a commercial need: purpose-built picture palaces had to provide a full night's entertainment. Before they arrived, cinema consisted solely of short films. Giants like Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton and Laurel and Hardy managed to deliver masterworks on one or two reels.
Now, the ascendency of the picturehouse is over: cinema admissions stand at little more than a 10th of their 1940s level. Instead, individuals forage for audiovisual fare from a galaxy of outlets on a plethora of devices. They're time poor, and itching for something brief to watch on their tablet while cooking, queuing or commuting.
At the same time, entry barriers to film-making have collapsed. Anyone can shoot full-spec HD video on a phone, »
- David Cox
Similar News ItemsRidley Scott
- ‘Blade Runner 2049’ 4K and Blu-ray Pre-Orders Live at Amazon (From TheHDRoom. 16 October 2017, 3:41 PM, PDT)
- Happy Death Day Stabs into the Top Spot at the Box Office in its Opening Weekend (From DailyDead. 16 October 2017, 8:35 AM, PDT)
- The Mummy and Lifeforce: the strange parallels (From Den of Geek. 16 October 2017, 8:17 AM, PDT)
- Mirren to receive Chaplin Award by Amber Wilkinson - 2017-10-15 07:06:51 (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 14 October 2017, 11:06 PM, PDT)
- As the Academy Debates Harvey Weinstein, Much Rides in the Balance (From Thompson on Hollywood. 14 October 2017, 11:51 AM, PDT)
- As the Academy Debates Harvey Weinstein, Much Rides in the Balance (From Indiewire. 14 October 2017, 11:51 AM, PDT)
- Lff 2017: ‘You Were Never Really Here’ Review: Dir. Lynne Ramsay (2017) (From The Hollywood News. 16 October 2017, 10:29 AM, PDT)
- Lumíère Festival: Tilda Swinton – a British Iconoclast (From Variety - Film News. 15 October 2017, 2:44 AM, PDT)
- Amazon Studios’ Best Chance to Disrupt the Oscars Again Lies With ‘The Big Sick’ (From Indiewire. 3 October 2017, 2:33 PM, PDT)