Short films no longer rule the cinematic roost as they once did. A feature-length assembly of 2013 Bafta nominees suggests why
No law dictates that a film must last 90-plus minutes. The feature emerged to meet a commercial need: purpose-built picture palaces had to provide a full night's entertainment. Before they arrived, cinema consisted solely of short films. Giants like Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton and Laurel and Hardy managed to deliver masterworks on one or two reels.
Now, the ascendency of the picturehouse is over: cinema admissions stand at little more than a 10th of their 1940s level. Instead, individuals forage for audiovisual fare from a galaxy of outlets on a plethora of devices. They're time poor, and itching for something brief to watch on their tablet while cooking, queuing or commuting.
At the same time, entry barriers to film-making have collapsed. Anyone can shoot full-spec HD video on a phone, »
- David Cox
Similar News ItemsRidley Scott
- Movie News: Angelina Jolie Touted for 'Bride of Frankenstein'; Watch Christian Bale and Brad Pitt in 'The Big Short' Trailer (From Movies.com. 24 November 2015, 12:00 PM, PST)
- John Toll Talks Adjusting for the Small Screen, ‘Sense8,’ the Wachowskis & More (From The Film Stage. 24 November 2015, 10:14 AM, PST)
- ‘The Martian’ Closing In On $500M Global: How Fox Marketers Brought Ridley Scott’s Cool Science To The Masses (From Deadline. 24 November 2015, 9:36 AM, PST)
- (From Alt Film Guide. 24 November 2015, 7:44 PM, PST)
- Queen of MGM: Fighting Revolutionaries, Nazis, and Joan Crawford (From Alt Film Guide. 24 November 2015, 7:38 PM, PST)
- Academy Originals Profiles The Mptf’s Channel 22 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 23 November 2015, 2:06 PM, PST)
Lynne Ramsay (I)
- Lynne Ramsay, James Gray and 24 More Iconic Directors Share Top 50 Film Lists (From Indiewire. 10 November 2015, 1:01 PM, PST)
- James Gray, Olivier Assayas, Lynne Ramsay, Jacques Audiard, Bong Joon-Ho & More Share Their Top 50 Films Lists (From The Playlist. 10 November 2015, 10:24 AM, PST)
- 8 Terrifying Non-Horror Movies (From Indiewire. 29 October 2015, 9:39 AM, PDT)