Sony’s “Evil Dead,” a remake that raises Sam Raimi’s 1981 original from its cult classic grave, is rising slightly higher than expectations this weekend. “Evil Dead” earned $11.9 million Friday, with a three-day haul of around $27 million projected.
The TriStar, FilmDistrict and Ghost House Productions release got off to a strong start against players with a little broader appeal this frame, including Universal’s “Jurassic Park” 3D rerelease and Fox-DreamWorks Animations “The Croods.” Friday will almost definitely be the scarer’s strongest day, with that early jump quite certainly enough positioning the film to win the weekend.
Behind it, “Jurassic Park” is falling tightly in line with expectations that were a little unsure heading into the weekend. The actioner took $7 million Friday for second, and will likely land in the high teens through Sunday as expected, but a pair of strong holdovers are expected to muscle it down to fourth place in that time. »
- Michael Sullivan
Similar News ItemsSam Raimi
- Ash vs Evil Dead: 12 things we learned from Sdcc (From Den of Geek. 27 July 2016, 10:15 PM, PDT)
- Is Betty Brant the Love Interest in Spider-Man: Homecoming? (From MovieWeb. 27 July 2016, 4:39 PM, PDT)
- "Ash vs Evil Dead" Season 2 Footage (From SneakPeek. 27 July 2016, 3:45 PM, PDT)
Jurassic Park (1993)
- Box Office Meltdown: Hollywood Races to Win Back Summer Crowds (From Variety - Film News. 26 July 2016, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- After 14 Months on the Road, Chris Pratt Is Having 'Dream Summer' at Home with His Family (From PEOPLE.com. 24 July 2016, 10:50 AM, PDT)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII officially wraps filming (From Flickeringmyth. 22 July 2016, 8:28 AM, PDT)
G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013)
- From Dusk Till Dawn: D.J. Cotrona Is TV's New George Clooney (From CultureCatch. 6 July 2016, 6:59 PM, PDT)
- New Suit Details for Batman in 'Justice League' (From LatinoReview. 28 June 2016, 10:06 AM, PDT)
- Top 10 Takeaways: ‘Finding Dory’ and ‘Central Intelligence’ Bring Summer Box Office Upturn (From Indiewire. 19 June 2016, 12:14 PM, PDT)