Film critic Roger Ebert was not only the first film critic to win a Pulitzer Prize, but one of the only critics known to the general public, thanks to his long-running movie review shows such as “Sneak Previews” and his thumbs-up or down movie reviews. He died Thursday of complications from cancer, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. He was 70.
The avuncular champion of movies big and small had been fighting thyroid cancer since 2002, and in the past few years spoke with a voice machine. The latest show to bear his name is the PBS series “Roger Ebert Presents at the Movies,” in which he briefly appears on camera with a prosthetic chin though other critics shoulder reviewing duties.
He apperared on the Oprah Winfrey show in 2010, speaking with a machine that tailored his speech more closely to his natural voice.
He continued reviewing films and kept in the public eye »
- Pat Saperstein
Similar News ItemsRoger Ebert
- Steve James Promises Surprises in Roger Ebert Documentary 'Life Itself,' Set to Premiere (and Livestream) at Sundance 2014 (Exclusive) (From Thompson on Hollywood. 11 December 2013, 10:48 AM, PST)
- Race, Gender, and Sexuality at the Oscars, Part III (From Scott Feinberg. 10 December 2013, 6:05 PM, PST)
- Sundance Short Films: Movies From Danny Pudi, Rose McGowan Highlight Lineup (From The Wrap. 10 December 2013, 1:22 PM, PST)
Kevin Smith (I)
- A24 Set to Release Kevin Smith's Latest Next Year; Company Says Film Will 'Blow People's Minds' (From Indiewire. 11 December 2013, 8:06 AM, PST)
- The 12 Most Insane Genre Transitions Made By Directors (From FilmSchoolRejects. 11 December 2013, 8:00 AM, PST)
- A24 and Demarest Films to Distribute Kevin Smith's 'Tusk' in 2014 (From FirstShowing.net. 11 December 2013, 7:50 AM, PST)
- American Cinematheque Honoree Jerry Bruckheimer on His Hits and Misses (From Variety - Film News. 11 December 2013, 2:33 PM, PST)
- Martin Scorsese retiring soon? (From Flickeringmyth. 11 December 2013, 1:10 PM, PST)
- Jackson & Robbie Set To Join Waltz & Skarsgard In David Yates’ ‘Tarzan’ (From The Hollywood News. 11 December 2013, 12:51 PM, PST)