Film critic Roger Ebert was not only the first film critic to win a Pulitzer Prize, but one of the only critics known to the general public, thanks to his long-running movie review shows such as “Sneak Previews” and his thumbs-up or down movie reviews. He died Thursday of complications from cancer, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. He was 70.
The avuncular champion of movies big and small had been fighting thyroid cancer since 2002, and in the past few years spoke with a voice machine. The latest show to bear his name is the PBS series “Roger Ebert Presents at the Movies,” in which he briefly appears on camera with a prosthetic chin though other critics shoulder reviewing duties.
He apperared on the Oprah Winfrey show in 2010, speaking with a machine that tailored his speech more closely to his natural voice.
He continued reviewing films and kept in the public eye »
- Pat Saperstein
Similar News ItemsRoger Ebert
- ‘Creed,’ ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ and the Rise of the Nostalgia Sequel (From Variety - Film News. 29 November 2015, 2:15 PM, PST)
- Remember When Siskel & Ebert Reviewed Jaws: The Revenge? (From shocktillyoudrop. 27 November 2015, 9:09 AM, PST)
- 10 Movies Which Were Completely Changed After Test Screenings (From Obsessed with Film. 27 November 2015, 5:22 AM, PST)
Kevin Smith (I)
- Today in Movie Culture: 'Mad Max' Black Friday Parody, Kevin Smith On Everything Wrong With 'Star Wars' and More (From Movies.com. 27 November 2015, 9:30 PM, PST)
- What's Wrong With Star Wars: A New Hope, According To Kevin Smith (From Cinema Blend. 27 November 2015, 8:13 AM, PST)
- 2016 Sundance Film Festival Predictions: Miguel Calderón’s Zeus (From ioncinema. 26 November 2015, 1:30 PM, PST)
- What a Link. What a Lovely Link (From FilmExperience. 28 November 2015, 5:03 PM, PST)
- Best of the Week: 'Captain America: Civil War' Trailer, First Look at 'Wonder Woman' and More (From Movies.com. 27 November 2015, 11:00 PM, PST)
- Inside Criterion's Incredible Restoration of Dylan Doc 'Don't Look Back' (From Rolling Stone. 27 November 2015, 12:50 PM, PST)