Born in Queens, N.Y., she met Jim Henson in a puppetry class at the U. of Maryland, and began working with him as performer, puppet designer and builder when they were offered a spot on WRC-TV in Washington, D.C. while they were still undergraduates.
The Muppets made their first appearance on their show “Sam and Friends,” which aired before the “Huntley-Brinkley Report” and “The Tonight Show” with Steve Allen, where their signature puppets made their first national guest appearance.
They were married in 1959, and Jane gave birth to Lisa, Cheryl, Brian and John in the next five years and Heather in 1970.
- Pat Saperstein
Similar News Items"The Tonight Show" (1962)
- Hot Docs Toronto: The Bells – an Intimate Portrait by Jessica Edwards (From Monsters and Critics. 23 April 2015, 10:57 AM, PDT)
- A Visit to William Wegman’s Studio — and a Reunion With a Beloved Relic From His Past (From Vulture. 12 December 2014, 11:09 AM, PST)
- Tom Hiddleston Will Battle It Out With King Kong (From BuzzSugar. 16 September 2014, 1:21 PM, PDT)
Jim Henson (I)
- Ranking San Diego Comic-Con 2016 Trailers, From Worst to Best (From Rolling Stone. 25 July 2016, 11:18 AM, PDT)
- Robot Wars interview: presenter Angela Scanlon (From Den of Geek. 24 July 2016, 4:18 AM, PDT)
- 'Stranger Things': How Netflix's Retro Hit Resurrects the Eighties (From Rolling Stone. 21 July 2016, 6:30 AM, PDT)
"Sesame Street" (1969)
- PBS CEO Paula Kerger On Presidential Election, ‘Sesame Street’ & More – TCA (From Deadline TV. 28 July 2016, 11:34 AM, PDT)
- ‘Sesame Street’ Fans Lose It Over Firings of Luis, Gordon, Bob: ‘You Break My Heart’ (From The Wrap. 28 July 2016, 11:32 AM, PDT)
- ‘Sesame Street’s Number Of The Day: Three 40-Year Cast Members Out (From Deadline TV. 28 July 2016, 11:24 AM, PDT)