Born in Queens, N.Y., she met Jim Henson in a puppetry class at the U. of Maryland, and began working with him as performer, puppet designer and builder when they were offered a spot on WRC-TV in Washington, D.C. while they were still undergraduates.
The Muppets made their first appearance on their show “Sam and Friends,” which aired before the “Huntley-Brinkley Report” and “The Tonight Show” with Steve Allen, where their signature puppets made their first national guest appearance.
They were married in 1959, and Jane gave birth to Lisa, Cheryl, Brian and John in the next five years and Heather in 1970.
- Pat Saperstein
Similar News Items"The Tonight Show" (1962)
- Hot Docs Toronto: The Bells – an Intimate Portrait by Jessica Edwards (From Monsters and Critics. 23 April 2015, 10:57 AM, PDT)
- A Visit to William Wegman’s Studio — and a Reunion With a Beloved Relic From His Past (From Vulture. 12 December 2014, 11:09 AM, PST)
- Tom Hiddleston Will Battle It Out With King Kong (From BuzzSugar. 16 September 2014, 1:21 PM, PDT)
Jim Henson (I)
- ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas Schedule Is Here—Plan Your December Accordingly (From E! Online. 1 December 2015, 6:24 AM, PST)
- Yoda: The Empire Strikes Back's big gamble (From Den of Geek. 24 November 2015, 7:10 AM, PST)
- The Muppets do Adele's Hello – and so does everyone else (From The Guardian - TV News. 23 November 2015, 8:18 AM, PST)
"Sesame Street" (1969)
- Watch Julianne Moore Act for Tips in 'Billy on the Street' Clip (From Rolling Stone. 1 December 2015, 11:12 AM, PST)
- Jamie Demetriou’s favourite TV: ‘I’m desperate for a return of Pop Idol’ (From The Guardian - TV News. 30 November 2015, 4:00 AM, PST)
- CollegeHumor Interviews Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Celebrities On The ‘Confetti Carpet’ (From Tubefilter News. 26 November 2015, 12:17 PM, PST)