Beginning August 24, "Lord of the Rings" star Orlando Bloom will make his Broadway debut in a production of "Romeo and Juliet," as the male lead. His costar will be the Tony-nominated daughter of actress Phylicia Rashad, Condola Rashad, the New York Times reports.
Though the casting choices find the star-crossed lovers to be an interracial couple, director David Leveaux says that wasn't his intention. "They could have been any number of different ethnicities," he says, "The two actors I wanted to be together producing sparks just happened to be those two." The casting decision led to the Capulets, Juliet's family, being an all-black clan, while Romeo's family, the Montagues, are all-white.
He says the decision was more about being realistic, rather than making social a commentary. "I'm not about to turn a contemporary version of Shakespeare into a sociological or political point," Leveaux says, "We know there are families from »
Similar News ItemsOrlando Bloom
- The End is Nigh: The Synopsis for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' (From Rope Of Silicon. 13 July 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- #SDCC14: On Day 3 (July 26) Vamp Out with True Blood, The Vampire Diaries, Salem, Ahs: Coven, Constantine, Grimm, Sin City, Lovecraft, Twin Peaks, and More! (From Dread Central. 12 July 2014, 5:59 PM, PDT)
- Comic-Con 2014 - Saturday Schedule Unleashed (From GeekTyrant. 12 July 2014, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- "Avengers: Age Of Ultron" Updates (From SneakPeek. 13 July 2014, 1:57 PM, PDT)
- Stan Lee Confirms 'Avengers 2' Cameo, Wants to Be in 'Batman v Superman' (From MovieWeb. 12 July 2014, 9:21 AM, PDT)
- What you can expect from Marvel Studios at their 2014 Comic-Con panel (From Hitfix. 12 July 2014)
- Watch: Rare Hour-Long Mother/Daughter Conversation with Phylicia & Condola Rashad (From ShadowAndAct. 30 June 2014, 7:11 AM, PDT)
- BET Awards: ’12 Years a Slave,’ Beyonce, Pharrell Top Winners (From Variety - Film News. 29 June 2014, 5:33 PM, PDT)
- Spike Lee Hosts Star-Studded Dinner at His Home (From PEOPLE.com. 12 June 2014, 3:30 AM, PDT)