HBO’s Game of Thrones returned Sunday night to its most-watched episode ever.
The third season premiere delivered 4.4 million viewers for its premiere at 9 p.m. and racked up 6.7 million viewers for the evening after its two repeats were tallied. That’s up 13 percent from its first airing last year and represents a record for the show in both measurements.
Despite heavy publicity and a rabid fan base, odds were stacked against Thrones setting a record. TV viewership historically dips on Easter Sunday, and Thrones ran head-to-head for the first time with the heavily anticipated The Walking Dead finale, which »
- James Hibberd
Similar News Items"Game of Thrones" (2011)
- HBO, Russia's Amedia Strike Exclusive Deal (From The Hollywood Reporter - TV News. 25 July 2017, 3:15 AM, PDT)
- Russia’s Amedia, HBO Renew Pact, Including ‘Game of Thrones’ and ‘Westworld’ (From Variety - TV News. 25 July 2017, 2:05 AM, PDT)
- ‘Midnight, Texas’: How the Author Behind ‘True Blood’ Rewrote Her Own Vampire Rules to Create a More Tolerant World (From Indiewire Television. 24 July 2017, 4:45 PM, PDT)
"The Walking Dead" (2010)
- George Romero Remembered by Fans and Friends at Public Memorial Service (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 24 July 2017, 3:29 PM, PDT)
- John Hawkes, Jon Bernthal, Thomas Haden Church join 'The Peanut Butter Falcon' (From ScreenDaily. 24 July 2017, 2:17 PM, PDT)
- ‘Justice League,’ ‘Walking Dead’ Among Most Tweeted Topics at Comic-Con (From Variety - Film News. 24 July 2017, 10:49 AM, PDT)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ 101: What Is Casterly Rock? (From The Wrap. 24 July 2017, 3:37 PM, PDT)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Actress Carice van Houten Reveals Her Picks for ‘Prince Who Was Promised’ (From Variety - TV News. 24 July 2017, 12:37 PM, PDT)
- Marvel officially releases its Avengers: Infinity War triptych poster (From Flickeringmyth. 24 July 2017, 2:35 AM, PDT)