New York — Jason Mittell had other things to do last month when ABC aired a two-hour debut of the drama "Red Widow," so he set his digital video recorder to capture it.
Then the Middlebury College professor and Just TV blogger saw the show's disappointing ratings the next day. He deleted the DVR file. If the show already appears to be on thin ice, why bother watching?
Skittish viewers who guard their time are making the already difficult task of establishing new dramas on broadcast television even harder. If the show becomes a hit, technology offers many ways to catch up later. It's just one more advantage for cable networks at a time when they already seem to have the upper hand with dramas.
Similar News Items"The Walking Dead" (2010)
- Fox Considering an X-Men TV Show (From Vulture. 26 January 2015, 11:25 AM, PST)
- Wizard World Madison Variant Cover for The Walking Dead #1 Features Rob Liefeld Artwork (From DailyDead. 26 January 2015, 9:46 AM, PST)
- SAG Awards 2015 – Full Winner’s List (From The Hollywood News. 26 January 2015, 6:30 AM, PST)
"Breaking Bad" (2008)
- TV’s New and Returning Show Premieres: ‘Walking Dead,’ ‘Htgawm,’ ‘Blacklist’ (From The Wrap. 26 January 2015, 3:18 PM, PST)
- 5 Ways Actors Over 50 Are Shaking Up Their Careers to Avoid the Johnny Depp Curse (From The Wrap. 26 January 2015, 3:01 PM, PST)
- 'Better Call Saul' Behind-the-Scenes Preview (From MovieWeb. 26 January 2015, 2:57 PM, PST)
"The Good Wife" (2009)
- CBS 2014-15 Season Ratings (updated 1/26/15) (From TVSeriesFinale. 26 January 2015, 1:01 PM, PST)
- David Tennant Joins Jessica Jones Series as the Marvel Villain Kilgrave (From TVLine.com. 26 January 2015, 10:36 AM, PST)
- Watch Viola Davis' Brief But Incisive SAG Awards Acceptance Speech + She Shares Her Love for Cicely Tyson (From ShadowAndAct. 26 January 2015, 8:19 AM, PST)