Paramount's decision to delay the film and boost Channing Tatum's role has paid dividends, with audiences flocking to a sequel that outshoots its predecessor
The knives were out in Hollywood for GI Joe: Retaliation back in 2012, when Paramount surprised everyone (including director Jon Chu) by announcing it was putting back the release by nine months from 29 June 2012 to the end of March 2013.
At the time there was the usual Hollywood smokescreen to placate the masses. The official line was that the studio needed more time on the 3D conversion, whereas in fact executives were scrambling to reshoot and expand Channing Tatum's role. Tatum's chemistry with Dwayne Johnson is one of the best things about this actually quite decent sequel to a hideous predecessor (2009's GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra) and test audiences last year were upset when Tatu's character died in the opening minutes.
That's understandable. Tatum »
- Jeremy Kay
Similar News ItemsChanning Tatum
- Sony Classics Sets Release Dates for Leigh's 'Mr. Turner' and Sundance Pic 'Whiplash' (From Rope Of Silicon. 23 April 2014, 4:33 PM, PDT)
- You've Loved Shakespeare This Whole Time Without Knowing It (From BuzzSugar. 23 April 2014, 3:33 PM, PDT)
- Tribeca Review: 'Boulevard' Starring Robin Williams, Kathy Baker And Bob Odenkirk (From The Playlist. 23 April 2014, 10:04 AM, PDT)
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Promo Art with Electro, Rhino and Goblin (From MovieWeb. 23 April 2014, 3:53 PM, PDT)
- Atlanta Readers: Win Passes to See The Amazing Spider-man 2 (From Collider.com. 23 April 2014, 1:50 PM, PDT)
- The Amazing Spider-man 2 Featurette "Electro vs. Spiderman" (From GeekTyrant. 23 April 2014, 12:15 PM, PDT)
Dwayne Johnson (I)
- Paramount Joins MGM On ‘Ben-Hur’ Remake (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 23 April 2014, 10:07 AM, PDT)
- Vin Diesel posts Fast & Furious 7 set photo with Paul Walker’s brothers (From Flickeringmyth. 22 April 2014, 11:13 AM, PDT)
- Robert Downey Jr. Delivers the First Photo From the Set of Avengers: Age of Ultron (From Comingsoon.net. 22 April 2014)