Paramount's decision to delay the film and boost Channing Tatum's role has paid dividends, with audiences flocking to a sequel that outshoots its predecessor
The knives were out in Hollywood for GI Joe: Retaliation back in 2012, when Paramount surprised everyone (including director Jon Chu) by announcing it was putting back the release by nine months from 29 June 2012 to the end of March 2013.
At the time there was the usual Hollywood smokescreen to placate the masses. The official line was that the studio needed more time on the 3D conversion, whereas in fact executives were scrambling to reshoot and expand Channing Tatum's role. Tatum's chemistry with Dwayne Johnson is one of the best things about this actually quite decent sequel to a hideous predecessor (2009's GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra) and test audiences last year were upset when Tatu's character died in the opening minutes.
That's understandable. Tatum »
- Jeremy Kay
Similar News ItemsChanning Tatum
- From Hazel Grace and Augustus to Katniss and Gale: The 7 Best Movie Couples of 2014 (From Entertainment Tonight. 19 December 2014, 5:31 PM, PST)
- Ten Best: Phil’s Top 10 Movies of 2014 (From Blogomatic3000. 19 December 2014, 5:52 AM, PST)
- George Clooney Reacts To 'Interview' Cancellation: We Need to Stand Up Against This (From Entertainment Tonight. 19 December 2014, 2:57 AM, PST)
- 'Annie' Stars Crack Jokes and Reminisce About Filming for Et Roundtable (From Entertainment Tonight. 19 December 2014, 5:05 PM, PST)
- 'Get Hard' Trailer: Kevin Hart Teaches Will Ferrell How to Survive Prison (From Movies.com. 19 December 2014, 5:00 PM, PST)
- Film Review: Annie (From LatinoReview. 19 December 2014, 3:06 PM, PST)
Dwayne Johnson (I)
- First Look at HBO's 'Westworld' TV Series (From MovieWeb. 18 December 2014, 12:20 PM, PST)
- 26 Dwayne Johnson Pictures That Will Rock Your World (From Popsugar. 16 December 2014, 2:19 AM, PST)
- Dwayne Johnson Promises “Ruthless” And Charming Black Adam In Shazam (From We Got This Covered. 15 December 2014, 12:41 PM, PST)