The actress and the company that made the film were sued by Croatian author James Braddock, who said that it was partly based on his book The Soul Shattering.
However, Us District Judge Dolly Gee said that although both are centred on war romances, the plots, characters and themes in the two works were not "substantially" similar.
Braddock has now been ordered to tell the court why his complaint should not be dismissed with prejudice.
The 2011 film was Jolie's directional debut. She also wrote and co-produced it.
It was previously reported that the Coen Brothers are to rewrite Jolie's upcoming Unbroken.
The 2010 book on which the film is based tells the true story of World War II hero Lou Zamperini. The Olympic runner crashed in the Pacific in 1943 with two other men. »
Similar News ItemsAngelina Jolie
- The Best Movie Trailers of the Week (From Movies.com. 11 July 2014, 6:00 PM, PDT)
- Colin Farrell Is In Talks To Join A TV Hit, The Fantastic Four Cast May Steal The Show At Comic-Con, + More In Today’s Last Lap (From VH1.com. 11 July 2014, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Ray Donovan's Jon Voight Wrote the "Sexy" Liev Schreiber's JDate Profile (From E! Online. 11 July 2014, 9:07 AM, PDT)
Francis Lawrence (II)
- Angelina Jolie's 'Unbroken' Trailer Follows the Life of WWII Hero Louis Zamperini (From MovieWeb. 10 July 2014, 8:23 AM, PDT)
- Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1& 2: Snow, Peeta, Mason ‘Unity’ Clip (From Film-Book. 10 July 2014, 7:42 AM, PDT)
- New Teaser Video For The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 (From Worst Previews. 10 July 2014, 5:16 AM, PDT)
In the Land of Blood and Honey (2011)
- Trailer and images from Angelina Jolie's Unbroken (From TheMovieBit. 11 July 2014, 5:37 PM, PDT)
- Angelina Jolie's New Movie Looks Oscar-Ready! (From Manny the Movie Guy. 11 July 2014, 6:52 AM, PDT)
- Here's the First Trailer For Unbroken, Angelina Jolie's WWII Drama (From BuzzSugar. 10 July 2014, 10:30 AM, PDT)