Ruskin's marriage to Effie, annulled for non-consummation, still provokes speculation. A new book may explain everything
The scandal surrounding John Ruskin, his wife Effie, and John Everett Millais still fascinates a century and a half after the events. What makes it famous is that it wasn't a sex scandal but a non-sex scandal.
The circumstances in which Effie left her husband for the pre-Raphaelite artist have generated at least half a dozen books as well as an opera, a silent film and assorted plays. One of the plays, The Countess, was at the centre of a just-resolved copyright dispute between its author, Gregory Murphy, and the actor Emma Thompson. Thompson has written the screenplay for Effie, a big-screen telling of the story starring her husband Greg Wise as Ruskin, Dakota Fanning as Effie and Tom Sturridge as Millais; the film is scheduled for release in May.
The outline is familiar. »
- Michael Prodger
Similar News ItemsDakota Fanning
- Meet The Greys! New ‘Fifty Shades Of Grey’ Stills Feature Rita Ora, Andrew Airlie & Marcia Gay Harden (From The Hollywood News. 27 November 2014, 3:09 AM, PST)
- 2015 Sundance Predictions: Which Film is the Next Whiplash? (From ioncinema. 19 November 2014, 9:45 AM, PST)
- Sharing Secrets by Anne-Katrin Titze (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 15 November 2014, 1:57 PM, PST)
Emma Thompson (I)
- Al Pacino remembers Mike Nichols: 'Hard to find anyone like that again.' (From Hitfix. 26 November 2014, 11:46 AM, PST)
- 15 hottest forums posts: Memories of director Mike Nichols (From Gold Derby. 22 November 2014, 10:00 AM, PST)
- ‘Angels in America’ Cinematographer on Working With Mike Nichols (From Variety - Film News. 21 November 2014, 11:42 PM, PST)
- Carey Mulligan Captivates In First Trailer For Far From The Madding Crowd (From We Got This Covered. 26 November 2014, 1:23 PM, PST)
- Carey Mulligan Is "Far From The Madding Crowd" (From SneakPeek. 25 November 2014, 7:30 PM, PST)
- Carey Mulligan Sings in the First Trailer For Far From the Madding Crowd (From BuzzSugar. 24 November 2014, 12:03 PM, PST)