I work in high-tech so I'm no stranger to computer nerds, as they might have been called during the era in which the movie Computer Chess is set -- the 1980s, when computers were beginning to become portable. On the surface, this is a movie about "computers versus humans" in a chess tournament, but filmmaker Andrew Bujalski provides his actors with an environment for their characters to expand beyond nerdy stereotypes, giving the movie thoughtfulness and depth.
Computer Chess takes place at a weekend tournament where teams match their computers' best chess programs with one another, to see which is superior. The winning team will pit their computer against a human chess master. The programmers aren't the only people holding events in the hotel, however, and a weekend couples-encounter retreat provides some amusing contrast.
The film is shot and structured as though it were a documentary or found footage -- »
- Jette Kernion
Similar News ItemsAndrew Bujalski
- ‘Natural Selection’ Exclusive Clip: A Lost Teenager Finds Comfort In A Troubled, Violent Friend (From Indiewire. 17 August 2016, 2:12 PM, PDT)
- ‘Filmmaker’ Reveals 25 New Faces of Independent Film 2016: ‘American Honey’ Star Sasha Lane & More (From Indiewire. 27 July 2016, 3:59 PM, PDT)
- Kevin Corrigan and Jayce Bartok Skewer New York Gentrification in New Web Series ‘The Holdouts’ (From Indiewire. 14 June 2016, 8:00 AM, PDT)
Computer Chess (2013)
- Ifp Film Week Announces 120 Feature Project Selection (From Indiewire. 27 July 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- ‘Human Terrain,’ ‘Burning Season’ Win Tribeca Film Institute Sloan Grants (From Variety - Film News. 15 April 2016, 11:40 AM, PDT)
- Weekly Rushes. 18 November 2015 (From MUBI. 18 November 2015, 10:28 AM, PST)
The Winning Team (1952)
- Fox Sets Interactive Musical Game Show Based On Shazam App From Mark Burnett (From Deadline TV. 8 August 2016, 11:40 AM, PDT)
- Here's the Deal With Supernatural Star Misha Collins's Massive Charity Scavenger Hunt (From Popsugar. 28 June 2016, 2:41 PM, PDT)
- The Bachelorette Recap: JoJo Fletcher Goes on a Two-on-One with Arch Enemies Chad and Alex - Who Makes the Cut? (From PEOPLE.com. 7 June 2016, 7:00 PM, PDT)