Before Jamie Foxx was set to play the role, writer-director Quentin Tarantino had another actor in mind to play the titular character in "Django Unchained." That actor is Will Smith, who will next be seen this summer in "After Earth."
While Smith as Django might have been a very interesting movie, the actor turned down the role for one simple reason. "Django wasn't the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead," he tells Entertainment Weekly. Smith even asked Tarantino to alter the movie, saying, "I was like, 'No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!'"
In a strange twist, come awards season Christoph Waltz was billed as the supporting role, which he won an Oscar for, while Foxx was credited as the lead. Still, Smith has no hard feelings, and enjoyed the movie. "I thought it was brilliant," he says, "Just not for me. »
Similar News ItemsAnne Hathaway
- The Snap: Why 'RuPaul's Drag Race' is our best reality show (From Hitfix. 27 February 2015, 1:09 PM, PST)
- Ten candidates to host the 88th Academy Awards (From Hollywoodnews.com. 26 February 2015, 8:38 AM, PST)
- How to Fix the Oscars in 5 Easy Steps (From Variety - Film News. 24 February 2015, 3:23 PM, PST)
Mark Wahlberg (I)
- This Weekend's Must-See Snaps! (From Popsugar. 28 February 2015, 5:52 PM, PST)
- Ex-ufc Star Kenny Florian -- Boxing Is Finished ... After Floyd/Manny Mega-Fight (From TMZ. 27 February 2015, 12:17 PM, PST)
- Seth MacFarlane sued over Ted talking bottle opener (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 27 February 2015, 7:44 AM, PST)
- Ingrid Michaelson Splits From Her Husband After 3 Years (From Popsugar. 27 February 2015, 1:45 PM, PST)
- First look at Oscar-winner Eddie Redmayne as a transgender artist in The Danish Girl (From Cineplex. 27 February 2015, 11:52 AM, PST)
- Eddie Redmayne as a Woman: Photo Shows Actor as Transgender Pioneer Lili Elbe (From PEOPLE.com. 27 February 2015, 8:00 AM, PST)