It's a mammoth task for DreamWorks to be as successful as Pixar, but its latest caveman caper has opened at No 1
The Croods scored a No 1 North American launch at the weekend for DreamWorks Animation. An estimated $44.7m is nothing to sniff at, nor is the $63.3m international debut or the $8.3m No 1 UK spot, but Wall Street will still take some convincing. DreamWorks has made some exceptional movies, but in terms of commerce it is no Pixar – its results usually trail its competitor each year. The studio took an $87m writedown for its last release, Rise of the Guardians, so the analysts will have the knives out, watching to see how The Croods performs in the coming weeks.
That said, the $107m worldwide opening weekend seems like the minimum threshold the movie needed to reach, so this is a decent start heading into the Easter holidays.
Gerard Butler is »
- Jeremy Kay
Similar News ItemsSelena Gomez
- Selena Gomez's New Los Angeles Home Is Totally Affordable, by Hollywood Standards (From E! Online. 24 May 2017, 7:38 PM, PDT)
- Here's Why the Internet Thinks Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Are Working on New Music Together (From E! Online. 23 May 2017, 6:36 PM, PDT)
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Collaborating on New Song: Report (From PEOPLE.com. 23 May 2017, 1:01 PM, PDT)
- Did Nicki Minaj Just Dis Vanessa Hudgens's BBMAs Rap? We'll Let You Decide (From Popsugar. 24 May 2017, 3:20 PM, PDT)
- ‘High School Musical’ Star Ashley Tisdale Signs With StyleHaul (From Tubefilter News. 24 May 2017, 8:42 AM, PDT)
- Ashley Tisdale Reunites With Lucas Grabeel to Perform 'High School Musical' Duet – Watch! (From Entertainment Tonight. 23 May 2017, 5:53 PM, PDT)
Gerard Butler (I)
- Naomi Watts Opens Up About Life After Split from Liev Schreiber: ‘There Are Good Days and Bad Days’ (From PEOPLE.com. 22 May 2017, 2:17 PM, PDT)
- Naomi Watts Talks "Good Days" and "Bad Days" After Liev Schreiber Split (From E! Online. 22 May 2017, 6:15 AM, PDT)
- Cannes: Lionsgate Takes Female Action Movie 'Peppermint' (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 21 May 2017, 8:37 AM, PDT)