Ed Koch's timing failed him, on occasion. The New York mayor was very late reacting to the AIDS crisis and overstayed his welcome in City Hall.
"How'm I doing?" he asked constituents during his first mayoral campaign, and all through his tenure in office (1978-1989). "Koch" does a pretty good job of answering that question.
Non-New Yorkers won't remember that he was a three-term congressman and a World War II combat vet. And even New Yorkers, with no sense of history, might have forgotten what he did to make the city livable and worth visiting by tourists, two features it had lost by the middle of the '70s.
Urban blight, crime and a Times Square that was only a "Crossroads of the World" for those who liked porn movies, »
Similar News ItemsMichael Bloomberg
- Imitation Game vs. Whiplash. All in Good Fun (From FilmExperience. 7 January 2015, 8:04 PM, PST)
- Mario Cuomo Remembered: Tributes Pour In for Former New York Governor (From PEOPLE.com. 1 January 2015, 7:20 PM, PST)
- Mario Cuomo Remembered: Tributes Pour In for Former New York Governor (From PEOPLE.com. 1 January 2015, 7:15 PM, PST)
Rudolph W. Giuliani
- Outrage Watch: Zendaya slams Giuliana Rancic for 'ignorant slur' (From Hitfix. 24 February 2015, 12:58 PM, PST)
- Rnc Blasts Media’s ‘Liberal Bias’ in Rudy Giuliani Controversy (From The Wrap. 24 February 2015, 10:00 AM, PST)
- Ed Henry to Earnest: Does Obama Regret Calling Bush ‘Unpatriotic’ During 2008 Campaign? (From Mediaite - TV. 20 February 2015, 11:40 AM, PST)
- Bess Myerson, First Jewish Miss America, Dead at 90 (From The Wrap. 5 January 2015, 1:35 PM, PST)
- Bess Myerson, Miss America Who Became TV Personality, Influential N.Y. Figure, Dies at 90 (From Variety - TV News. 5 January 2015, 12:44 PM, PST)
- The Academy Presents “The Real Indies: A Close Look At Orphan Films” In New York On October 31 And November 1 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 10 October 2014, 2:04 PM, PDT)