When The Last Exorcism was set to be released, horror fans took up arms to protest its PG-13 rating. For many, an R rating is an inextricable component of horror films, one that allows them to push certain boundaries not found in PG-13 films. How good can a horror film be if it’s rated PG-13?
While there are exceptions, the majority of PG-13 horror films, at least in contemporary cinema, focus on instilling a sense of dread and fear rather than outright shocking you with blood, guts, sex, and violence. If you look back over the past thirty years or so, PG-13 horror has been wildly successful, perhaps more so than R-rated horror, due in no small part to their ability to focus less on the object and more on the abject, and thus be more appealing to those unable to stomach extreme violence and gore.
Although I will »
- Brad McHargue
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- Cool Stuff: ‘Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom’ Poster By Dave Perillo (From Slash Film. 12 December 2013, 12:00 PM, PST)
- Martin Scorsese to Receive Art Directors Guild Cinematic Imagery Award (From Thompson on Hollywood. 12 December 2013, 11:53 AM, PST)
- Producer Frank Marshall hints at Indiana Jones 5 (From Flickeringmyth. 12 December 2013, 9:53 AM, PST)
- The top 30 underrated films of 2002 (From Den of Geek. 11 December 2013, 9:31 AM, PST)
- ‘Legends Of Oz: Dorothy’s Return’ Posters & Trailer (From The Hollywood News. 10 December 2013, 10:19 PM, PST)
- The Amazing Spider-Man 4 Doesn’t Have Andrew Garfield…Yet (From We Got This Covered. 10 December 2013, 12:34 PM, PST)
M. Night Shyamalan
- Selena Gomez and Ethan Hawke's 'Getaway' Is Worst Reviewed Film of 2013; 'After Earth' and 'Grown Ups 2' Also Rank (From Thompson on Hollywood. 10 December 2013, 11:44 AM, PST)
- Jurassic World: 5 Reasons Bryce Dallas Howard Will Make An Awesome Lead (From Obsessed with Film. 4 December 2013, 1:27 AM, PST)
- ’12 Years a Slave,’ ‘Fruitvale Station’ Excluded From WGA Awards (From Variety - Film News. 3 December 2013, 6:33 PM, PST)