When The Last Exorcism was set to be released, horror fans took up arms to protest its PG-13 rating. For many, an R rating is an inextricable component of horror films, one that allows them to push certain boundaries not found in PG-13 films. How good can a horror film be if it’s rated PG-13?
While there are exceptions, the majority of PG-13 horror films, at least in contemporary cinema, focus on instilling a sense of dread and fear rather than outright shocking you with blood, guts, sex, and violence. If you look back over the past thirty years or so, PG-13 horror has been wildly successful, perhaps more so than R-rated horror, due in no small part to their ability to focus less on the object and more on the abject, and thus be more appealing to those unable to stomach extreme violence and gore.
Although I will »
- Brad McHargue
Similar News ItemsSteven Spielberg
- Jeff Goldblum Is Back for Jurassic World 2 (From MovieWeb. 26 April 2017, 10:42 AM, PDT)
- Cinema, AI, and Human Nature (From FilmSchoolRejects. 26 April 2017, 10:14 AM, PDT)
- Supergirl Season 2 Episode 18 Review – ‘Ace Reporter’ (From Flickeringmyth. 26 April 2017, 9:52 AM, PDT)
- ‘Bloody Muscle Body Builder in Hell’ Review (From Blogomatic3000. 26 April 2017, 6:01 AM, PDT)
- Blu-ray Review – Phantasm 1-5 Limited Edition Collection (From Flickeringmyth. 24 April 2017, 1:40 AM, PDT)
- The Wall-Crawler Is In Unfamiliar Surroundings In New Spider-Man: Homecoming Photo (From We Got This Covered. 21 April 2017, 4:43 PM, PDT)
M. Night Shyamalan
- M. Night Shyamalan's 'Glass' Will Bring Together 'Unbreakable,' 'Split' and Samuel L. Jackson (From Movies.com. 26 April 2017, 4:00 PM, PDT)
- M. Night Shyamalan reveals Unbreakable and Split sequel Glass starring Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson and James McAvoy (From Flickeringmyth. 26 April 2017, 1:24 PM, PDT)
- Unbreakable / Split Sequel Announced; Bruce Willis and Sam Jackson Return (From MovieWeb. 26 April 2017, 1:13 PM, PDT)