Disney prequel "Oz: The Great and Powerful" easily continues its box office dominance this weekend, far outpacing a disappointing debut for Steve Carell and Jim Carrey's comedy "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" and a stronger-than-expected bow for Halle Berry's thriller "The Call."
"Oz" brought in $11.4 million on Friday to top $114 million in just eight days of release. The big budget movie opened to nearly $80 million last weekend and is expected to post a solid hold in weekend two with around $42 million.
"The Call" followed on Friday with $6.2 million. Current estimates are over $16 million for the weekend which would exceed industry expectations for the modestly budgeted thriller also starring Abigail Breslin.
That easily topped "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" which earned $3.7 million on Friday for an estimated weekend around $11 million. That's a big disappoint for a comedy with the combined starpower of Steve Carell and Jim Carrey, plus Steve Buscemi and Olivia Wilde in supporting roles. »
Similar News ItemsSteve Carell
- Emma Stone named 2017's highest paid female actor (From ScreenDaily. 16 August 2017, 5:27 PM, PDT)
- Emma Stone Tops Forbes' Highest-Paid Actresses List, Dethrones Jennifer Lawrence (From Entertainment Tonight. 16 August 2017, 3:55 PM, PDT)
- Louis C.K. Shot a Secret Movie with Chloe Moretz and It's Coming Soon (From MovieWeb. 15 August 2017, 6:43 PM, PDT)
- Damien Chazelle Joined Twitter to Demand ‘Racist’ Donald Trump’s Impeachment (From Indiewire. 16 August 2017, 2:13 PM, PDT)
- Trump Tower Protest Led by Mark Ruffalo, Olivia Wilde, Michael Moore and More (From MovieWeb. 16 August 2017, 1:39 PM, PDT)
- Late Night TV vs. Donald Trump: 8 Hosts Ranked, From Most to Least Critical (From Indiewire Television. 16 August 2017, 1:34 PM, PDT)
- 20 Years Back: Celebrating the Cinematic Delights of 1997 (From Flickeringmyth. 12 August 2017, 12:34 PM, PDT)
- Interesting Jim Carrey Documentary Talks Vulnerability and Art (From TVovermind.com. 10 August 2017, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Jim Carrey Permitted To Use Ex-Girlfriend’s Health Records In Wrongful Death Trial (From ET Canada. 9 August 2017, 12:53 PM, PDT)