How Disney mounted a stealthy raid on the Wizard of Oz story, unbeknown to Warner Bros, who own rights to MGM original
The race to re-imagine and spin off the most watched and possibly most beloved film in Hollywood history began in secrecy and with a codeword: Brick.
The Walt Disney Company did not own rights to the original 1939 The Wizard of Oz movie but moved stealthily to mount an audacious raid on the story and leave a rival studio flat-footed.
The result, Oz the Great and Powerful, has dominated the box office since its release last week, garnering over $80m domestically and $70m abroad, the third-biggest March opening ever, and prompting buzz about a sequel, a theme park ride and merchandising.
- Rory Carroll
Similar News Items"Game of Thrones" (2011)
- Official: James Wan Will Direct Both Aquaman And Robotech (From ComicBookMovie. 3 June 2015, 2:26 PM, PDT)
- Breaking: James Wan Directing Aquaman, Starring Jason Momoa, For Warner Bros. Pictures (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 3 June 2015, 2:13 PM, PDT)
- James Wan Sets ‘Aquaman’ Deal To Direct Jason Momoa In DC Warners Pic (From Deadline. 3 June 2015, 1:47 PM, PDT)
- Johnny Depp Is the Face of Christian Dior Fragrances—See His First Ad From the Campaign! (From E! Online. 3 June 2015, 9:18 AM, PDT)
- Johnny Depp Is the Face of Dior's First Male Fragrance in 10 Years — And It's His First Scent Campaign Ever! (From Us Weekly. 3 June 2015, 8:13 AM, PDT)
- Johnny Depp becomes new face of Dior men's fragrance (From National Ledger. 3 June 2015, 4:38 AM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- Samuel L Jackson's Nick Fury won't appear in Captain America: Civil War (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 3 June 2015, 12:46 PM, PDT)
- Marvel May Be Putting Sam Jackson's Nick Fury On Hiatus For A Few Years (From Cinema Blend. 3 June 2015, 11:46 AM, PDT)
- Ian McKellen webchat – post your questions now (From The Guardian - Film News. 3 June 2015, 5:34 AM, PDT)