How Disney mounted a stealthy raid on the Wizard of Oz story, unbeknown to Warner Bros, who own rights to MGM original
The race to re-imagine and spin off the most watched and possibly most beloved film in Hollywood history began in secrecy and with a codeword: Brick.
The Walt Disney Company did not own rights to the original 1939 The Wizard of Oz movie but moved stealthily to mount an audacious raid on the story and leave a rival studio flat-footed.
The result, Oz the Great and Powerful, has dominated the box office since its release last week, garnering over $80m domestically and $70m abroad, the third-biggest March opening ever, and prompting buzz about a sequel, a theme park ride and merchandising.
- Rory Carroll
Similar News Items"Game of Thrones" (2011)
- Emmy Predictions: Outstanding Drama Series (From Deadline TV. 19 August 2017, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ Season 9 Trailer: Larry David Is the Hero We Need — Watch (From Indiewire Television. 19 August 2017, 9:30 AM, PDT)
- ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ Season 9 Trailer: Larry David Is the Hero We Need — Watch (From Indiewire. 19 August 2017, 9:30 AM, PDT)
- Flashback Weekend 2017: Heather Langenkamp, Amanda Wyss, and Ronee Blakley Discuss Social Issues of A Nightmare On Elm Street & Remember Wes Craven [Part 2] (From DailyDead. 18 August 2017, 11:08 AM, PDT)
- Emma Stone Tops Forbes’ 2017 Highest-Paid Actresses List (From Women and Hollywood. 17 August 2017, 8:08 AM, PDT)
- 14 Blockbusters to See This Season, From ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ to ‘Blade Runner 2049’ and Many More (From Indiewire. 17 August 2017, 7:30 AM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- Robert Downey Jr. Did Not “Blow Whistle On Hollywood Pedophile Ring,” Despite Claim (From GossipCop. 18 August 2017, 7:07 AM, PDT)
- The Avengers, the Guardians and Spider-Man team-up for Avengers: Infinity War promo art (From Flickeringmyth. 18 August 2017, 12:39 AM, PDT)
- Stan Lee Praises Black Panther Star Chadwick Boseman (From We Got This Covered. 17 August 2017, 1:46 PM, PDT)